Staying cool on really hot track days

darreng505

Established Member
How are people doing it?

Ideas please.

I know about cool shirts, etc. Some have said its not enough for 95 degrees + humidity.
Interested to know what _really_ works, including any home grown solutions.

WPBcobra

Established Member
I use a cool shirt down here in FL with out it i would be dead half way thu a race. I have a buddy they has the cool helmet system and shirt and he says it is the best thing ever made.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I put down a layer of silver foil double sided insulation right under my seat. That seemed to help a little.

On the underside of the trans tunnel where my right foot rests I put reflect a gold tape strips on there to reflect some radiant heat. It seemed to help right until the end of the 35 minute race.

Planning to install a naca duct with hose in the pass side window top rear corner to duct some fresh air over towards me.

WPBcobra

Established Member
I did the same as above also putting foil under the car and it did help very little. I for got to add i do have 3 vent houses pointed at me. It gets pretty hot down here

blacksheep-1

Established Member
So there's a cool "suit"? More than a cool shirt?

not that I know of it's just verbiage, we also use a blower that plugs into the helmet top

best pics I could find of it, the driver is in the silver helmet and you can see the duct at the top

NC3gvXOl.jpg

8427y7Wl.jpg

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
soak your underwear in some water and put them in the freezer the night before. The next morning you have a device I like to call "snow balls".

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Darren, do some cardio to handle the heat better!

Now I don't have a full suit, but during track days I wear Under Armour HeatGear shirts, helps me keep cool. I've read that F1 drivers wear something similar under their underwear. Other than that I have no experience :p

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I put down a layer of silver foil double sided insulation right under my seat. That seemed to help a little.

On the underside of the trans tunnel where my right foot rests I put reflect a gold tape strips on there to reflect some radiant heat. It seemed to help right until the end of the 35 minute race.

Planning to install a naca duct with hose in the pass side window top rear corner to duct some fresh air over towards me.

I'm pretty sure you're running AI, so this may be more important to you than an open track guy. Look into the aero affects of placing the NACA ducts at the front of the window rather than the rear. For example, look at TJ Bain's camaro. Basically used the NACA duct as an excuse to place more lexan in the window opening, which reduces opening size for better aero, two birds, one stone and all...

969856_10100685943321272_486326257_n.jpg

not that I know of it's just verbiage, we also use a blower that plugs into the helmet top

best pics I could find of it, the driver is in the silver helmet and you can see the duct at the top

Some helmets have the duct off to the side as well.

EDIT: Also, if you want to run a cool shirt (yes they work in any heat), look into the MOMO shirts (used to be 986), they use a bladder held in the shirt rather than tubing stitched back and forth along the shirt. This gives more surface area to transfer the heat from your body to the water. A full MOMO (986) ice box will last almost 3 hrs in a race car that sees interior temps of around 120deg, at least from what I've seen. Just check the ice levels in between sessions if you're worried it won't last you long enough. It takes all of 3 minutes to check it. If you have to change it out because all the ice melted, it'll take 15 minutes, tops, if you mounted it correctly.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Darren, do some cardio to handle the heat better!

Now I don't have a full suit, but during track days I wear Under Armour HeatGear shirts, helps me keep cool. I've read that F1 drivers wear something similar under their underwear. Other than that I have no experience :p

I can handle the heat, but this is more of a comfort thing.

darreng505

Established Member
I'm pretty sure you're running AI, so this may be more important to you than an open track guy. Look into the aero affects of placing the NACA ducts at the front of the window rather than the rear. For example, look at TJ Bain's camaro. Basically used the NACA duct as an excuse to place more lexan in the window opening, which reduces opening size for better aero, two birds, one stone and all...

EDIT: Also, if you want to run a cool shirt (yes they work in any heat), look into the MOMO shirts (used to be 986), they use a bladder held in the shirt rather than tubing stitched back and forth along the shirt. This gives more surface area to transfer the heat from your body to the water. A full MOMO (986) ice box will last almost 3 hrs in a race car that sees interior temps of around 120deg, at least from what I've seen. Just check the ice levels in between sessions if you're worried it won't last you long enough. It takes all of 3 minutes to check it. If you have to change it out because all the ice melted, it'll take 15 minutes, tops, if you mounted it correctly.

Good tips. Thanks.

Steveespo

Established Member
Darren Keep washcloths that are damp with water in a cooler full of ice and put one around your neck before each session. Also drink a full 16 oz bottle of water before going out and for longer sessions a cooler with drink tube is great to have in the car. Between sessions urinate and drink a sports drink to help with the electrolytes. bananas are also great to prevent cramps as is tonic water (quinine). VIR in July/August is rough right? Need to keep hydrated so you don't lose concentration.
Steve

darreng505

Established Member
Darren Keep washcloths that are damp with water in a cooler full of ice and put one around your neck before each session. Also drink a full 16 oz bottle of water before going out and for longer sessions a cooler with drink tube is great to have in the car. Between sessions urinate and drink a sports drink to help with the electrolytes. bananas are also great to prevent cramps as is tonic water (quinine). VIR in July/August is rough right? Need to keep hydrated so you don't lose concentration.
Steve

Steve. Thanks. This is an eye opener of sorts because if you put it all together "driver cooling" is a complete routine the way you frame it. Not just a nifty shirt or helmet. Gonna plan it out...excellent.

Now time for le mans

Steveespo

Established Member
You can of course get a coolsuit setup but try the basics of hydration and nutrition I think you'll find it works and you can save money and weight in the car. I am a fat bastid and wear a 3 layer SFI suit and I get hot too.
P.S. AJ Foyt never wore a cool suit:beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member

Yup I've already removed the side mirrors and replaced them with small Lexan triangles bolted to the stock mounts. They're smallish compared to TJs setup. But they do close off a small area of window.

As for driver cooling start looking online at YouTube. Fitness blender has some kick boxing cardio workouts that will kick your ass. Do the routine in a hoodie and sweat pants to simulate being in your race suit. Scary how many mistakes I was making once I was hot and fatigued. Fat mostly being the key word there but hey I'm working on it.

Nasa (rockets not race cars) did a study years ago they put people in a room doing 60 simple math problems. At 80* no one missed a single problem but at 95* people started making mistakes on simple math. Think how many things your brain is processing on track at temps well above 95* and you can see how danger starts to creep into the picture.

darreng505

Established Member
Ive also been driving my black on black f250 around without the A/C to start the conditioning process. Just train the mind to accept and focus in those conditions so it doesnt seem so contrasting.

Im also going to put heat blocking wrap on the floor under the driver seat and install a special heat blocking shifter boot. My shifter is a hair dryer on track. The boot is wide open after the trans swap.

Last edited:

WPBcobra

Established Member
When i started racing a few years ago i was also getting real tired about 20 min into the race. Along with the cool suit i go running outside for about 2 to 3 miles 6 times a week with it being 90 plus outside It has helped me a lot to be able to handle the heat in the car and also as a benefit i lost a bit of weight.

jg61354

Established Member
When i started racing a few years ago i was also getting real tired about 20 min into the race. Along with the cool suit i go running outside for about 2 to 3 miles 6 times a week with it being 90 plus outside It has helped me a lot to be able to handle the heat in the car and also as a benefit i lost a bit of weight.
Quite a "bit" of weight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread