• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

State inspectors, need insight on motor swap

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by testorossa1989, Aug 20, 2018.

1. testorossa1989

testorossa1989 Well-Known Member Established Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do a motor swap (coyote) turn-key with a coyote computer to a 99-04 Mustang.

My question is this.... When you go for your state inspection (for those of us who are just so fortunate lol)... When you you plug into the obdll for the computer side of the inspection, is the signal going to throw a red flag when the 2011+ computer communicates with the shops computer and may or may not detect a coyote VIN on the computer. I'm not so sure if it would look that deep down the rabbit hole but it's my only concern when swapping. I'm in NY if that's helpful

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Mpoitrast87

Mpoitrast87 Well-Known Member Established Member

Depends on your states rules. In mass if it’s older than 15 years it doesn’t have to pass emissions so it doesn’t get plugged in. You could have an entire 2018 mustang put into a new edge. As long as it’s registered as an 03 or older you’re good

3. testorossa1989

Yeah we have similar. For us it's 1996+ gets plugged in. I'm just not sure if the state computer will hiccup when it detects a 11+ but the cars vin scanned in by the registration is a 99-04

4. mcaligiuri

mcaligiuri Midnight Mechanix Established Member

its going to look for the monitors for those years. Im not exactly sure how they do it but i know it can be done. They implemented some new stuff like a year ago so even if it had not ready codes you had to have the appropriate monitors available for the computer to see depending on the year.

5. testorossa1989

A tune can easily turn off most of those so I don't see that being an issue.

6. mikecobra01

mikecobra01 Active Member Established Member

In NC, the inspection machine will read the vin. At the beginning of the inspection process, you manually enter the vin. So if you scan a car with a different vin than what you entered in, the state may think you are “clean scanning” a car in order for it to pass, which is a big no no in NC. I’d let the shop know the situation so they can make note of it on their end so there is no confusion.

testorossa1989 likes this.
  7. testorossa1989

I quickly found out that my state is similar to California where it's virtually impossible. I'm just going to ditch the idea

8. IronSnake

IronSnake Beers for the boys Established Member

Vin's are 17 characters and have no bearing on the actual function of the ECU. You could probably flash the Coyote ECU to reflect the vin of your car.

03Sssnake likes this.
  9. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

This would be the best way around all these swaps. If the ecu running the car can reflect the proper VIN I would think you’re good to go in most states.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake likes this.
  10. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

In CA, you could swap in a NEWER engine into an OLDER car. Stipulation is that the car MUST have all emissions equipment for the new engine MY 50 state emissions standards in place (Cats, EVAP, PCV etc). If you did so, you could request an inspection by a Smog referee to inspect the car and make a determination if its smog compliant. Contact your local smog agency, tell them what youre planning and ask what you will need to do with the engine swap to be emissions compliant.

03Sssnake likes this.
  11. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

Friend of mine did that when he swapped a 93 Cobra engine into his LTD. I don't remember the year of the car off hand. But it passed referee with no issues.

RedVenom48 likes this.
  12. RDJ

RDJ ZERO shits given Established Member

This is becoming harder to do. I remember reading about how some states are passing laws that say if the engine is newer than the body it must meet the engine years smog.

Texas does not have a smog agency. they have smog inspections but they are done by the regular inspection stations

13. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

There are still some counties in Texas that do safety only.

14. RDJ

RDJ ZERO shits given Established Member

true but
    most states have a county or two (sometimes more) that still do safety only, but they are becoming a rarity.