Starting over

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve come to a point where I’m miserable with my career. I’m a Radiology director with a masters in healthcare administration. I’m 46 and thinking about starting over. Has anyone else done this with positive results? It’s to the point where I think I’d honestly be happier selling everything and work handing out buggies at Walmart.

I started my own business at 47.

One of the best decisions of my life.

E

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Personally in the current market and your age i would reconsider your decision. Starting over is not easy at that age and setting yourself up for retirement should be a priority.

Good luck regardless of your decision.

Bronze123

Established Member
When was your last vacation from this position? Not trying to steer you in changing your mind but wondering if you’re just burned out.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
OP are you married? Any kids?
Sounds like you're definitely at the midlife crisis point! I'm 46 also and was at the same point you are little over a year ago! However I had issues at home (wife, no kids together with us) could barely stand going to work but it was better than being at home. However the love of my life I dated when I was 20 and should have spent forever with reached out to me a year ago this past August 8th because she was at the same point (we both have always known we were meant to be together). Long story short, she divorced her husband of 15 years and I divorced my wife of 2.5 years (but had been together almost 9 years) and moved in together last February and we are both happier than we could possibly be. Work is not an issue now!
NOW I'M NOT SAYING GO GET DIVORCED if you're married!
What I am saying is look around at all aspects of your life and see if there could be any changes that could make a difference in where your at. Even if they are temporary ones to keep you going while you continue looking for another job with another company! Even if you take the advice some others have said regarding looking for a job in the same field you are now but maybe doing something different!
Good luck!
Ken

Cobra1776

Established Member
Op, I completely get where you’re coming from. I’m 48, same company for 21 years and make solid low 100s a year and hate my job. I deal with claims and have a team of adjusters that I manage over. I’ve actually in the past year thought about resigning, selling my stuff and moving to a little mountain in NC. I have a solid 401k that will come with me. My favorite job was when I was in high school, college and worked for Publix.. Fun with cashiers and low stress job (produce, meat dept)If I went back it would probably be at a 60% reduction in pay. A lot to think about but I get you.

JJackson515

Established Member
I've often pondered this myself, although I think I need a change of location/scenery . I don't hate what I do, I just would rather have another place to explore while I'm not working. I feel like I've fell into a cycle of life where there's no hoping off.

awful knawful

Established Member
I’ve come to a point where I’m miserable with my career. I’m a Radiology director with a masters in healthcare administration. I’m 46 and thinking about starting over. Has anyone else done this with positive results? It’s to the point where I think I’d honestly be happier selling everything and work handing out buggies at Walmart.
Been driving bulldozer for 22 years at a pulpmill. Miserable. I took a job on the paper machine last week.
46 also, time for a change, I'm excited to leave.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Doing what?

Doing what I had been doing for the previous 24 years, the last 13 running a company for the owner so he could come in for 2-3 hours a day and take credit for the work I did.

If you love the work you do, then if at all possible stop doing your job for someone else, do it for yourself! The world is full of people that are looking for someone that loves to do the work that they do (because we all know that the best work or workmanship comes from people that take pride in their work).

I figured this out later in life, I should have made the jump years earlier.

E

madscotsman

Established Member
Consider looking at medical software companies that provide Radiology applications. Those type of companies are always looking to hire clinicians that can bridge the gap between end users and software engineers. I got my BSN in 2000 and did psych nursing in East St. Louis for three years before getting burned out being a psych RN. I applied at a Medical Software company called CERNER in KCMO, back in 2003 and they hired me because of my nursing degree/experience. I've been in Healthcare IT and hired by several of their client sites now for 17 years. If I lost or hated my job today, I could get a new one anywhere in the US that used that software, probably in a few days. CERNER's radiology application is called RADNET and they are ALWAYS hiring clinicians.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Check out azstatejobs.gov and see if there is anything you find interesting and may be qualified for.

nxhappy

Established Member
the best damn feeling in the entire world is not working for ANYONE but yourself. Have you ever considered opening a business of some kind? Or possibly investing? It took me a while to realize I can't work the 8 to 5. It's not in me. If you work for yourself the strive to succeed is beyond recognition. The best part is, if you want time off, you take it. If you need more money, you bust your ass twice as hard. If I fail or lose money, then I know it's my own fault. But the strive to succeed will push you harder. I know a lot of bounce around every 10 years between companies. If you are that kind of person, I suggest you try a business. Or possibly stock market trading/real estate if you have a decent chunk of start up.

Users who are viewing this thread