Starting issues???

Mystic 544

Established Member
2003 SVT Focus
77xxx miles, new battery last month, new fuel filter maybe 6K miles ago...

So - the last couple of months the Focus has had a starting issue from time to time. Sometimes she will turn over and run for a second then die and other times she just cranks but no fire. In the past I would check a few things or maybe disconnect the battery or just give her some time and she would fire up and be fine for a few weeks - but not today, seems/sounds like no fuel is being sent at this point??? The SVT Focus fuel pump is pretty high volume and you can hear it kick on a send fuel before you try and turn her over (when working)...
Is there a diagnostic tool that can maybe give me some direction???
I'm wondering if maybe the main fuse (not the blue 15amp, but the bigger box one) is going out, but no idea how to tell if those are bad?
Maybe a relay? or bad wire or ground?
Maybe the fuel pump is going out ... but would guess those things last longer then 77K miles:bash:
Any suggestions or ideas??
Thanks for the help - Tim

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
It's not just miles that kill fuel pumps, time takes it toll and so does extreme heat which I'd imagine in a problem where you are.

No check engine lights? Anyone you know have a scan tool?

-Steve

Mystic 544

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Steve, figured you would have some thoughts...

the majority of her life 70K miles were in ChicagoLand - I just got out to AZ

Currently No CEL ... had one about a month ago and am pretty sure it was a misfire, came on after a cruise on the hwy - slowing down coming up on a red light...

I am looking into a scan tool, but not really sure what I would be looking for (what section or terms for that matter)

I am going to pull a few things off and clean out the throttle body & IAC along with checking out the O rings on the injectors, wires and vac lines in the area.

TimmaY

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
A scan tool, X-cal, Predator should show you fuel pressure so at least you'd know if it was that.

What plugs are in it, how old is the coil, have you checked the three wire plug going into the coil to make sure it's in good shape.

The coils are prone to failure as they get old, do the issues seem worse when it's humid or wet outside? If so you make have a cracked coil pack.

There's lots of things it could be so it's just a matter of troubleshooting and figuring out where the cause is.

It can be fun, that's for sure.

-Steve

Mystic 544

Established Member
At 64K miles (about 3 years ago/ 13K miles ago) I upgraded the plugs, wires, coil pack and changed the Fuel Filter (chasing a misfire issue) actually tried to put the OEM stuff back on at one point and it would not run for sh*t lol can't figure that one out hahaha

I guess it has been about 13K miles on the last Fuel Filter, mybe time for a new one.

Never any humidity or rain here :burnout:

I am on pulling some stuff and checking the situations out - try cleaning the throttle body & IAC while checking wires and vac lines, pulling the injectors and looking at the O rings...
After she started, it only ran rough for like 15 seconds - kind of like she either wasn't getting enough fuel or getting too much fuel. After she settled down, I drove off...

I guess my wonder on the Fuel Pump would be, if it is going out - why is it only a start up issue and not a problem while driving??? No hesitation when I step on it or decellerate. And do they actually progressivly get worse or just go dead???

I also had a random thought - what if the Key is going dead (PATS)? Does that not even allow the car to turn over OR does it allow it to turn over but not fire? Being a 2003 one has to wonder how long those Keys last???

Thanks Again - TimmaY

Mystic 544

Established Member
So - a friend brought over his killer SnapOn scan tool tonight...
Didn't read any issues initally, but this code came up after running for a while:
P1246 - Alternator Load Input

1st thoughts were maybe a bad ground (but where to check?)
? -Anyone have experience with that code???

thanks again .... TimmaY

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Check the three wire connector going to the alternator, see if any of the wires are frayed or broken off. It's quite common but your syptoms didn't make me think of that right off the bat.

Also check battery terminals and the condition of the cables and grounds.

As far as I know the keys never go dead or wear out.

-Steve

Mystic 544

Established Member
Hey Steve.... How many & where are all the ground wires on the SVT?
I know of the couple to the right of the battery and the one attached to that odd loop thing on the top left - are there others, maybe on the underside of the car???

I plan to try and figure out the Alt wire connector (btw, how much is that part) this afternoon but would also like to give all the ground connections a de-corrosion cleaning!

As far as symptoms go - I had a PITA misfire on #4 a couple years back and after reading about this Alt connection issue I am wondering if maybe it was the cause there too. Crazy how something like that can mess up all kinds of different areas...

I Appreciate your help!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
The alternator pigtail is $33.33 and I have it in stock.

I believe the three grounds are the one on the passengers side, the one directly to the battery and the one from the battery to the body.

Users who are viewing this thread