Starting issues. Help...

gtpowered4.6l

Established Member
First of all I dont drive my cobra much anymore. If I let it sit for a few weeks I have had to jump the battery. Well the other day of course same thing. I was jumping it with the Navigator and I got all of my lights and everything to work but it wouldnt turn over. There is a beep coming from under the dash. Anyway I took the battery to have it tested but they told me it was good???? I then took the alternator off and it came out to be bad. I have not dropped the $200 on the new alt yet but I have never heard of an alternator causing this. The beeping noise in the dash area around the pedals is what gets me. I dont get it. Has anyone experienced this before?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Is it a beeping or a clicking? Mine was clicking. It turned out that my cables were bad. I replaced the connectors and she started right up. Mine sat for about a year. If the alt is bad, the car should still start on a charged battery.

gtpowered4.6l

Established Member
Is it a beeping or a clicking? Mine was clicking. It turned out that my cables were bad. I replaced the connectors and she started right up. Mine sat for about a year. If the alt is bad, the car should still start on a charged battery.

No its a definite beep coming from under the dash.

mustangman36578

Established Member
push the shrader valve down on the fuel rails and see if you are getting fuel pressure. then crank it and do that again. if fuel doesnt squirt out check the inertia switch. also is the beeping noise the same beep as if the door was open and the keys are in the ignition? mine had an issue like this. i would open the door and before i put the keys in it would start beeping and it would crank but not start. it turned out being this one ground wire loose on the ignition switch. you might want to take a look and see if that could be it or if the ignition switch has any other loose wires that would disable the fuel pump.

Last edited:

brandon916

Established Member
my mach did the same thing, i took the starter apart and it was fried! start off with the simple things, check fuses and relays, then grab a test light and make sure you have main power " the big cable from batt." and if ya do then have some one try to crank over the car while you test the remote wire for the starter sylonoid if you have power then its your starter if not its something more involved like the ignition switch or the clutch position sensor.
good luck its most likely the starter

brandon916

Established Member
im not sure, usually if its the pats the theft light will blink in an unusual manor. thats why its most likely the starter.

gtpowered4.6l

Established Member
Yeah I have no theft light except when I first put the key in. Once I go to the on position I have no theft light at all. It could be something with the ignition since I did do an all black interior swap last summer. Maybe something wiggled loose. The beeping does appear to be coming from the little gray box that engages when you push in the clutch pedal. It looks like there is a shaft or something that goes up inside the box. Its very hard to tell though. My alternator is definitely bad. I will get the new one this weekend but I am sure that is not the issue. I will have one of my ET friends come over and check the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread