Starting issue

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
Hey guys, looks like be posting here now. I just bought a 1988 Mustang GT, 5.0, 5 speed as a fixer upper.

It was running fine, then all all once it wouldn't start. When i turn the key to start it the starter solenoid click but the starter doesn't spin. It's also starts smoking on the solenoid where the posative battery cable connects to it, when i crank it. I have 12 volts on my battery, and the starter tested fine.

I thought I'd just need to replace the starter, but if it's fine what direction should I go with the problem? I'm kinda leaning towards an issue with one or more wires.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
new starter solenoid, cost about $5 and will PROBABLY fix your problem. Had this same issue a few years back, tested the starter, battery, bought a new solenoid then walla, car started right up.

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
That was the the first thing I tried (had to do the same on my bronco a while back) it actually turned out being a siezed starter, and I think the circuit was overloading.

So I got it fixed but i'm pretty sure my fuel pump is out cause it cranks but won't start now. Replaced my fuel pressure regulator and had no fuel pressure in the lines.

Guess we'll find out in the next couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread