Starting Car without Tranny Attached

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I put a new clutch kit in this winter and, at the same time, put a new rear main seal in. Well, within a few miles it was leaking oil BADLY. So, had to take the tranny back out and found out that the rear main seal had a twist in it (my bad). Bought a new seal from Ford plus bought the OTC tool for installation after the rear seal plate is put on and put the new seal in. I wanted to start the car to ensure it no longer leaks but the starter bolts to the tranny right?

Well, I figured out that the block/tranny spacer plate has the holes for the starter. Using spacers for the tranny bolts, I bolted the spacer plate to the block above and below the starter holes. Found some nuts that fit the starter bolts and bolted the starter to the spacer plate. Then bolted on the H-pipe to hook up the O2 sensors. Turned the key and nothing. Then I remembered the clutch interlock switch and pushed the clutch in (no resistance as no clutch) and it started. Ran it for about 15 minutes with the flywheel only attached. No leaks so far but will check over the next day or two. Also, jacked the car up so that the oil is against the rear seal area.

Just thought I'd pass this on for anyone else in the same position. I do NOT want to do this job a THIRD time. Getting too old for this crap. At least it went a whole lot faster the second time.

Users who are viewing this thread