Starting a business

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
For those of you that have started a business, I need some advice. What better place than an automotive forum right ;-) We have to have some small business owners on here!

I plan to open up shop later this year or early 2013. I am going to specialize in the ordering of car and truck accessories, performance parts, and the installation of said products. I have a great location that has just opened up and I met with the owner this morning. I have a business plan and portfolio in place, it breaks the costs and budget down of everything lease amount, advertisement, payroll, operating cost. I tried my best to make sure the banks knew I was 100% serious, and that this wasn’t something I had thought of overnight. I talked to 2 banks and 2 credit unions in the last week, and after doing so I am a little disappointed on what I need to fund this venture up front.

The lowest percent down was 15%, now I know starting a business is a gamble, and quite frankly my wife and I are scared to pull the trigger. We are young, and we don’t feel comfortable depleting our savings account. I understand this is a very high risk venture as I will most likely be borrowing 40k to 100k depending on whether or not I purchase a dynojet. This may be wishful thinking, but do banks or business lenders offer 0% down, and 0 collateral business loans?

I have a current full-time job that pays decent 65K/year. I make my own schedule 42-44 hours a week. I have every Friday and Saturday off, and I am off by 4 or 5 Sunday-Thursday. I plan on keeping this job as a failsafe for at least 3-4 years or until the business takes off. I realize I would be putting in 100-120 hours a week when I combined the two. The company I work for now is very open and I have talked to both my district manager and my district HR, and I have the okay to open a business as long as it does not interfere with my performance at the store level.

I have asked all 23 automotive based businesses in town (dealerships/suppliers/detailers) if they think the community could use this sort of business. All but 3 said yes. Of the ones that said yes 17 said they get requests weekly to install parts/accessories, or if they know of anyone in town that does. There is not a single business in town or the surrounding area that you can order parts, and have them installed at the same location. Most of the businesses will not touch the install of performance parts/accessories due to liability and or company policies. I think the dynojet would go over extremely well as the closest one is 150 miles away, and it is for 2 wheel drive applications only.

As you can see I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, and for the most part what I need to do. My question for you is more geared towards that startup cost, and is there a safer or cheaper way to do it?

Thanks~

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
My advice is that you are young. Taking risk is what its all about. You will be as successful based on how much you put into it. Any business is competitive, so you need to do something that makes you stand above the rest. Go for it, and dont look back. Nothing worse than not trying! Good luck!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
save up every ****ing penny you can get your hands on till you have enough to cover a year of bills.

Plan for every possible thing going wrong and breaking. lol

Don't pay yourself from it till you have all of this.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
Resist the urge to bling it up with anything not completely necessary to so meet your goals. It's easy to get caught up with unnecessary stuff just because it looks or seems cool. Ultimately you have to pay for that stuff and it is often the difference between solvency and a "for lease" sign on your building.

Find ways to limit inventory. Full shelves mean lots of dough out of your pocket.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Make sure you're prepared to dedicate every second to the business in the beginning. If your heart isn't in it, it will be a quick ending. I've been working 70-80 a week for the last 12 years...and it was already an established business. Just this past year, I have been able to finally take time off and enjoy all my hard work.

Good luck.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Find a good accountant. Focus on a solid and proven business model (for retail, not skimping out on your customers).

Don't try to compete with others in your market heads on, do something they don't and sell that. Sure we can buy sprocket XYZ from Autozone, but at NebraskaSHOtime you can buy the sprocket and receive expert advice instead of a parts counter yokel.

Avoid groupon, but not facebook. word of mouth will be your bread and butter for the longest time. Network with everyone.

98WhiteSteed

Established Member
The bank wants to see that you believe in yourself, in the form of a down payment. If you are playing with the house's money, you are much more likely to fail. Also, with the way certain businesses can be setup now, you are able to completely limit or eliminate your exposure of personal assets to business legality issues. The banks know this, and are in no way going to let you walk with "free money".

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Find a good accountant. Focus on a solid and proven business model (for retail, not skimping out on your customers).

Don't try to compete with others in your market heads on, do something they don't and sell that. Sure we can buy sprocket XYZ from Autozone, but at NebraskaSHOtime you can buy the sprocket and receive expert advice instead of a parts counter yokel.

Avoid groupon, but not facebook. word of mouth will be your bread and butter for the longest time. Network with everyone.

Great advice. :beer:

And someone posted that I hate you???:shrug:

mysterio

Established Member
Small biz owner here. Some good advice given so far.

I worked in the bank/credit union environment for over 10 years. My advice is similar to virtualsvt's: fund this as much as possible from your own resources. Do your best to NOT have to go into a bank for a business loan. It's a stricter environment these days, and they're looking more and more at total assets, credit rating, experience in the field, etc.

The irony is that the current financial environment has pushed banks to tighten lending, and the ones that get loans are the ones that don't need them, if that makes any sense to you.

It's cliche, but remember what Shakespeare said: "not a borrower nor a lender be."

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Hate is just jealousy leaving the body /flex

But no, that's how I started my business. Just about to hit our one year mark.

The guy implying I hate you was mistaken as is the guy assuming jealousy.

What business are you running now?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
What business are you running now?

Home health care agency. Right now we are on the G-mans teat, but we finally are going to be able to start accepting hartford/bluecross/UHC before too long.

We were self funded though, the only thing I borrowed from the bank was the pen to sign the form to open the checking account.

98WhiteSteed

Established Member
Home health care agency. Right now we are on the G-mans teat, but we finally are going to be able to start accepting hartford/bluecross/UHC before too long.

We were self funded though, the only thing I borrowed from the bank was the pen to sign the form to open the checking account.

Best way to do it, and congrats on your one year mark.

Once I get my new lungs (double lung transplant coming soon), I have a business that I am currently planning and researching, and will launch once I am healthy enough to support. :banana:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member

Very nice. Congrats and continued success. :beer:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Sometimes the barking is the best part.

I like spoiling and inspiring people more :) Hope to offer some basic insurance options in this FY but holy hell are group plans expensive and attorney/HR people to negotiate them cost just as much.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I like spoiling and inspiring people more :) Hope to offer some basic insurance options in this FY but holy hell are group plans expensive and attorney/HR people to negotiate them cost just as much.

My employee plan costs me way too much. I split the premium 50-50 with the ones who opted in and comes in at $205 a month per employee on my end. It's a decent plan but I am on my wife's plan...she is a teacher.

Last edited:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
My employee plan costs me way too much. I split the premium 50-50 with the ones who opted in and that costs me $205 a month per employee.

thats what im coming across, and i have a relatively young, healthy, female workerforce with not many eligible children.

Users who are viewing this thread