Starter won't kick.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Alright guys I'm doing this more to vent.

The car started and ran fine about 2 weeks ago, no problems. I've been starting it periodically during the winter.

I went to start it last week or so and I get nothing. The battery is juiced, all the electrical is functioning, everything is fine except the starter isn't kicking. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few days, in the mean time I replaced my fancy gold-plated ground terminal because it had corroded and cracked. I figured this may be causing the issue (when I really had just overtightened it once). With a new terminal everything is the same, all electrical works with no starter, I can't even hear the bendix popping. I've tried jumping the car, unplugged the PATS, the battery, checked all of the contacts up top and just came in from jacking the car up on the ice and snow risking life and limb to put a volt meter to the starter and it says it's getting 12v.

I don't know what's keeping the starter from working. I understand the starter may have coincidentally gone bad but for now I think that's unlikely (though I know they can check out whenever they want without warning). Can the PATS system disable the starter? Is there a switch somewhere I'm missing? A fuse?

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
It sounds like maybe a loose wire. I actually had a really strange problem with my car at one time. Sometimes it would start, and sometimes it wouldn't Then if I let it sit, it would start again. Long story short, I later found out that it was the engine block to chassis ground strap. It would probably take you about 10 minutes to jack it up and check the strap- it's right next to the oil filter, Take it off, spray some brake cleaner on the contact points and wipe them clean with a rag, and bolt it back on. Hopefully that'll fix your problem.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
It sounds like maybe a loose wire. I actually had a really strange problem with my car at one time. Sometimes it would start, and sometimes it wouldn't Then if I let it sit, it would start again. Long story short, I later found out that it was the engine block to chassis ground strap. It would probably take you about 10 minutes to jack it up and check the strap- it's right next to the oil filter, Take it off, spray some brake cleaner on the contact points and wipe them clean with a rag, and bolt it back on. Hopefully that'll fix your problem.

same thing happened to me but it was the connection on the starter. drove me crazy. check all the connections and use a test light to see if power is getting to the starter.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah the PATS system disables the fuel not the starter. Id do what is in above post and or maybe tap on the starter with a wrench, maybe its just frozen man, esp up there.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I've had the sporadic no-start issue in the past before too, Wynn. I replaced the negative battery terminal and it went away (I've done this twice, now). Something in the electrical system in the car has always been weird, every so often the battery light in the cluster will flicker on and off for no apparent reason.

I'll check the block ground next, It's either something really simple with the starter or it's an unrelated grounding issue somewhere else. What does the block ground run to? From the block to the battery or to the chassis?

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
on a side note i read on here that you shouldnt start the car periodically throughtout the winter. If you dont drive it, condensation will build because the car wont get to normal operating temp.. Now im not saying I wont still do it but...

GForceJunkie

Established Member
What does the block ground run to? From the block to the battery or to the chassis?

It goes from the block to the chassis (lower part of the left motor mount).

+1 to give it a whack or two with maybe a small hammer (just enough to jar it a little).
It's crazy how many times this has worked on various cars.
If it does work, you are going to need a starter in the near future.

You will need help for this one, but...Be safe with the trans in neutral and the wheels chocked good.
Check the small wire to the solenoid for voltage with the key turned to start.

On my buddies car this terminal came loose from the wire.
If it checks out OK, I would pull the starter and have it tested.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I've had to deal with this on several occasions.

But you say you can't even hear a click when you go to start the car?

For me it would click, but not turn the motor over, then I was just jiggle some wires and after maybe 5-10 minutes she would finally start and not give me issues again.

Then on the occasions where everything I try doesn't work [and I'll visually check all the grounds to make sure they are clean and tight] a good push start to get it going[ I <3 weight reduction], and then once I drive it around to go where I need to she will start right up with no issue.

damn moody ass car...

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
When mine wouldnt start, i coasted down my hill. it still didnt start, so all my neighbors came out and we pushed it all the way back up haha

Users who are viewing this thread