Starter won’t engage flywheel.

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
Here’s the story,i was going with a group of guys I work with to work moral day. Decided to take the mustang,just incase I needed to leave early and I had somewhere to go after moral day was over.

Anway’s I was coming down the interstate and got off on an exit,I had to take a left and laid into the gas a little. Never had a problem before giving her a little extra,well when I did.

There was a pop and a clanking noise from were the flywheel meets the starter head,almost sounds like the starter cone is broke and bouncing around in the transmission housing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and has anyone broken a starter cone in a similar manner,by just getting a little rough on the gas on take off?

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
Update

When I shut it off,and try to turn it over. The starter just makes a grinding noise and never engages. I can jump start it, which I was forced to do and i got her home and parked her till I can get underneath and figure it all out.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I would pull the clutch dust cover off and take a look at the ring gear on the flywheel to check out its condition before putting the effort in to pull the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread