Starter will not spin motor at all

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
I was in town and caught by a red light and when it turned green I went to take off like normal.....Heres where it gets interesting first gear I slowly accelerate go to switch it into 2nd and then out of nowhere the car shuts off and will not accelerate. I pull to the side of the road and hit the switch and all I hear is the starter engage and spin, but it doesnt turn the motor over at all. So naturally I start freaking out. Get it loaded on a trailer and taken to a friends house where we will fix it. The motor spins freely when you turn it by hand but if you try to push it off nothing, doesnt even try to spin the motor......So I am thinking driveline related, maybe clutch decided to let go or possibly input shaft snapped......Anyone experience anything like this. Just trying to get some ideas before I drop the transmission Wed.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I was in town and caught by a red light and when it turned green I went to take off like normal.....Heres where it gets interesting first gear I slowly accelerate go to switch it into 2nd and then out of nowhere the car shuts off and will not accelerate. I pull to the side of the road and hit the switch and all I hear is the starter engage and spin, but it doesnt turn the motor over at all. So naturally I start freaking out. Get it loaded on a trailer and taken to a friends house where we will fix it. The motor spins freely when you turn it by hand but if you try to push it off nothing, doesnt even try to spin the motor......So I am thinking driveline related, maybe clutch decided to let go or possibly input shaft snapped......Anyone experience anything like this. Just trying to get some ideas before I drop the transmission Wed.

jack rear wheels put in gear and see if it still turns without motor..it could be internal..as long as you had it in gear when trying to push start..

was any work done recently

also if you put car in gear and you and a friend try to push car it should not move easy...caution push on bumper..not spoiler on trunk..3rd brakelight will crack

Last edited:

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
jack rear wheels put in gear and see if it still turns without motor..it could be internal..as long as you had it in gear when trying to push start..

was any work done recently

also if you put car in gear and you and a friend try to push car it should not move easy...caution push on bumper..not spoiler on trunk..3rd brakelight will crack
No work was done recently, was just cruising with the ac on and barely got taken off and it shut off. motor doesnt spin when car is put in gear and attempted to be pushed off down a hill.

horspla2000

Established Member
Don't see how, but seems the flywheel broke?? This would make the starter not engage into the ring gear on the flywheel and also not turn the engine when you try to push it when its in gear.....

hotcobra03

Established Member
No work was done recently, was just cruising with the ac on and barely got taken off and it shut off. motor doesnt spin when car is put in gear and attempted to be pushed off down a hill.

so it has a stock clutch and flywheel

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
You could also take the starter off but the leave the connections on it and try to start and see if the gear pops out (like it's going to engage the flywheel.) But what's weird is the car dying, I have never heard of teeth shearing on the flywheel though.

hotcobra03

Established Member
You could also take the starter off but the leave the connections on it and try to start and see if the gear pops out (like it's going to engage the flywheel.) But what's weird is the car dying, I have never heard of teeth shearing on the flywheel though.

there are some ugly threads to be found on aftermarket flywheels and clutch disc exploding

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hmmm, I guess I gotta do more research. I can thank the military for no internet for 7 months. I got lots of stuff to catch up on.

where were you,my son just got stationed to 29palms..his unit just got back over the last couple months..so i guess next deployment he should be going somewhere?

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
so it has a stock clutch and flywheel
I know it has a centerforce clutch, I am assuming a stock flywheel I have never personally had any of the car apart. I bought it modded about 4 years ago.

Thats just it the starter is spinning you hit the key and you hear the starter. Its just not spinning anything else. The motor doesnt even begin to turn over.
I should know something in the next couple days and will post what I find.

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Well got the transmission dropped this evening and learned someone already upgraded to a 26 spline and it was fine. The clutch and flywheel were also fine. Looks like the culprit is a broken crank. Wont know completely til I get the motor out and do some investigating to see if we can figure out what happened......

Saleen4971

Established Member
The car dying pretty much means this is pointless to check, but is the starter solenoid pushing the gear out to engage the flywheel?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well got the transmission dropped this evening and learned someone already upgraded to a 26 spline and it was fine. The clutch and flywheel were also fine. Looks like the culprit is a broken crank. Wont know completely til I get the motor out and do some investigating to see if we can figure out what happened......

now with trans out..when you turn engine does flywheel turn with it?

if yes ,,how about trying to hold back flywheel can you turn engine over by hand?

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Sounds like a broken gear ring on the flywheel. Mine broke off and even though it only wiggled a tiny bit it was enough to keep the starter from turning it.

Hope the crank is okay.

termin80r

Established Member
Broken Crank???. did you get under the car with the trans out and have someone turn it over??? can you turn the motor By hand??? If it had a centerforce flywheel, i have had those things crack, I have had the starter ring break off, and I have had all the rivets fall out of the starter ring. centerforce flywheels are just. I think youre jumping the gun on the broken crank Idea. You need to get someone who knows alittle more about motors to come over and take a look at it. Hope its something easy to fix.

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Broken Crank???. did you get under the car with the trans out and have someone turn it over??? can you turn the motor By hand??? If it had a centerforce flywheel, i have had those things crack, I have had the starter ring break off, and I have had all the rivets fall out of the starter ring. centerforce flywheels are just. I think youre jumping the gun on the broken crank Idea. You need to get someone who knows alittle more about motors to come over and take a look at it. Hope its something easy to fix.

Well when you spin the motor over with a socket on the front and it doesn't turn anything at the rear what else could it be? You to could turn the flywheel by hand and nothing was happening on the front end :cryying:

leegro1015

Established Member
I know you are way past this point but did you try to start it with the serpentine belt off? I had an a/c compressor freeze and the motor wouldnt turn over until it snapped the belt.

Users who are viewing this thread