Starter stays on

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Hey guys in need of help!, Hear we go well the other day i started my car like any other day no problem, went to a buddy's house ran fine when leaving i turn to start the car it cranked and ran but the starter would not disengage it stayed on the lintier time while running, so i was like OK to easy so i just put this starter in like 2 months ago so i was hell ya got warranty, so i take it in and turns out it is not the starter so i am like F$%#. So i go bk put the starter on and the same thing it won't shut off, so i have a bright idea i turn it on again same thing but something tells me take the positive terminal off the Batt. so i do and the starter turns off so i am like wow, put the positive terminal bk on and it is like nothing ever happen so i do the same thing multiple time start it starter stays on take terminal off it stops, so guys please my bad a little long but need help, Thanx oh ya went ahead and change the soliniode and that was not the problem.:shrug::shrug:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Sounds like it might be your ignition switch. Even though your turning the key back to the "on" position, it sounds like it's continuing to send power through the signal wire to engage the starter. I'd look there.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Sounds like it might be your ignition switch. Even though your turning the key back to the "on" position, it sounds like it's continuing to send power through the signal wire to engage the starter. I'd look there.

Thanx bro, but just curios what do i need to look for like possibly wires touching?

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member

All right guys round two!!, so i went to my local Auto zone picked up an ignition switch thinking that was the problem to, so i get bk home put it on shit same problem so my buddy has the same car as my self, decided lets try the ignition key switch well not the problem so please guys still need to solve this little issue thanx.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Your bendix is out on the s tarter. Pull your starter off and get the drive rebuilt on it. Very inexpensive.

Ok budd if true how would i explain that to oreilly's when i pulled the starter off and took it in they tested it and said the starter was good and u could hear the starter run like it should, i even asked if they could give me another sense it is still under warranty and they were like no cause it is still good according to that machine so kinda F*@# i guess, thanx for the input un less there might be something else causing it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Pull the signal wire off of the starter. Make sure that it doesn't have power when the key is in the "on" position. If all the inputs to the starter are acting like they should, then it's the starter.

Don't buy anything else until you know where your problem is...lol.

OBGT

Moving On Up!
Established Member
I had the same problem with my 92. It's the starter. Took my starter in and it tested good, but I knew it was bad so I got a new one and bang no more problem. I did go through 2 starters in about 6 mouths though. I think it was from the starter being so close to the long tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread