starter solenoid

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I started the car up this morning to come to work, heard a pop, saw some smoke and the car died. I did some investigating and it looks like the green wire coming from somewhere on the starter solenoid is fried. This wire is right next to some yellow wire on my car. The car will start, but the battery light is on and the volt gauge only reads two clicks above the bottom red line. What does this green wire do and where can I get it fixed?

red95gts

Established Member
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

I would take the alternator off and have it tested, although I'd be willing to bet it's trashed. You're also going to need to replace the 14ga fusible link, which is what smoked. A fusible link is a type of fuse. It's designed to burn up in the event the alternator shorts out and prevent an electrical fire.

Good Luck

mustangcobra93

Established Member
Thanks for the info. The car has a PA Performance 130 amp alternator on there now and its been on there for around 6 years or so. Does anyone know if they have a lifetime warranty?

red95gts

Established Member
I'm not sure on the warranty, but the fusible link that blew was originally sized for a 75A application. With the 130A alternator, it has been known to blow that link when the alternator is pushed close to maximum output. I'd still have the alternator tested just to see, but you may be able to get by with just replacing the fusible link. Although, to really fix it correctly, I'd look into one of PA's wiring kits that bypasses that link and replaces with with an appropriately-sized fuse.

Best of Luck

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
you should just get a 4ga wire and run it from the alternator to the solenoid. You have no need for those fusible links anymore. Remove them, and make sure you got the fuse in there that they suggest. I belive the instructions may be on pa performances website. I hope this is correct, i'm half wasted so i might be wrong here. Check their website for gospel. I believe that's how i did mine.

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I had this alternator installed at a shop and they followed the PA Performance directions. Also, I do have the PA Performance "power wire" on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread