Starter Relay Troubleshooting

roberthamm

Established Member
Hello guys! I picked up my new to me 1991 Mustang LX covertible. The motor is built/cammed the works and used to be ran carb'd but is switched over to injected. (Needs a better intake manifold to get the most out of the other motor work.)

So on the way home last night everything was going fine (40 mile drive) until I exited the interstate and put the car in nuetral. The car died and upon trying to restart it the motor would crank 2 times then nothing and when I would try to crank it again the starter relay started to smoke (It seems like it was the rubber grommets on the relay that were smoking and not the actual relay itself?)

A fellow mustang owner in a CLEAN 97 cobra came and tried to lend me a jump but a jump didnt do anything since the battery wasn't dead.

I let the car sit for about 30 minutes per the guys advice to see if the Relay would cool down and allow the car to turn over.... And sure enough it did!

From my understanding the Relay breaks appart when it gets to hot then goes back together once it cools down. The car starts easily in 2 cranks and seems to run perfectly fine.

What would you suggest I do first in troubleshooting this issue?

Is the car draining to much power thus making the relay break or is my battery not large enough? Is the reason my car died from the relay?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You are referring to the relay that's mounted to the starter, and not the solenoid that's on the fender right? If your starter relay is locking up when it gets hot, you are probably going to need to replace the starter.

As for why the car stalled out...can't really say with the info given. I'd perform the usual maintenance though if you haven't already. That is, remove and clean the IAC, adjust your TPS and throttle plate, set timing etc. Make sure everything is where it should be so you don't go chasing your tail trying to figure out the stalling problem.

roberthamm

Established Member
You are referring to the relay that's mounted to the starter, and not the solenoid that's on the fender right? If your starter relay is locking up when it gets hot, you are probably going to need to replace the starter.

As for why the car stalled out...can't really say with the info given. I'd perform the usual maintenance though if you haven't already. That is, remove and clean the IAC, adjust your TPS and throttle plate, set timing etc. Make sure everything is where it should be so you don't go chasing your tail trying to figure out the stalling problem.

After reading alot online I had come to the conclusing that the relay was the part attached to the fender and the solenoid is on the starter. Maybe I'm just getting things confused :shrug:... But to clarify I mean the part on the fender is what was actually smoking.

And the car certainly needs a tune up and to be locked in but that is over my head at the moment and I am calling in so reinforcements in the form of friends that know more than I do about fox bodies haha.

And for shits and giggles this is what the beast sounds like idling :)

vroom | Facebook

Users who are viewing this thread