starter help....

anex01

Established Member
does anyone have any tips on how to get the top starter bolt out?I'm about ready to go crazy,I've tried everything i can with no damn luck....any help would be great....:shrug:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You need a 3/8 ratchet, the 12 or is it 13 mm socket, it's the same as teh other two, and a 6 inch extension. Use your left hand to find the bolt and giude your socket, use the right hand to turn the ratchet. If you want, you can disconnect the cables going to the starter and that will give you a little more room. Make sure you disconnect the battery, unless you like sparks. It's not that hard once you've done it a couple times. You just can't turn the ratchet more than a 1/4 or so at a time, so that sucks. You might be able to fit an air ratchet up there. Putting it back it harder to giude the bolt, but by then you've figured out how to fish the ratchet up there. Good luck.

elyrain

Established Member
I think I used a deep socket, 3 different length 3/8" extentions, a wobble, and a u joint to get it out/in. The ratchet ends up near the a/c compressor. It takes a while to get the perfect combo but is easy once you get it.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
One more tip, get the car up as high as you can. It's a little easier if your arms are not all bunched up.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I think I used a deep socket, 3 different length 3/8" extentions, a wobble, and a u joint to get it out/in. The ratchet ends up near the a/c compressor. It takes a while to get the perfect combo but is easy once you get it.

+1,
Long extension and you end up by the front of the motor going through the K-member area.

FWIW, many many have left this bolt out after.
Some say don't short cut, others have done it for years with no issues.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
+1,
Long extension and you end up by the front of the motor going through the K-member area.

FWIW, many many have left this bolt out after.
Some say don't short cut, others have done it for years with no issues.

+1 on the method...but it literally takes 5 minutes to put back in...peace of mind for me...

Users who are viewing this thread