Start up procedure?

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
I was wondering if there is a certain procedure you should follow after reconnecting the battery on a 96-98 cobra. I thought I remembered reading something about it but have searched and can't find it. Thanks.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
How long was it disconnected? Mine is left off for about a month at a time for winter storage but I start the car once a month and let it run for about a minute. All I do is reconnect the battery, turn the key to the on position and let the fuel pump start for a few seconds and then start the car.

realitygt

Established Member
How long was it disconnected? Mine is left off for about a month at a time for winter storage but I start the car once a month and let it run for about a minute. All I do is reconnect the battery, turn the key to the on position and let the fuel pump start for a few seconds and then start the car.

aren't you supposed to let it run for like 15 minutes or more so condensation doesn't get everywhere in the exhaust and whatever?

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I thought that there was a more specific procedure to help the car relearn the fuel curves and whatnot but if it's not a big deal then that's all I need to know.

mystical

Established Member
How is that?

Well first of all cold, dry starts are the leading cause of engine wear. Furthermore, just starting a car that's been sitting and letting it idle does not get it no where near full operating temperature. As a result, major condensation is formed. Water in the oil, exhaust etc. eventually causes rust formation and premature engine wear and even failure in extreme cases.

Last edited:

SVTContique

Well first of all cold, dry starts are the leading cause of engine wear. Furthermore, just starting a car that's been sitting and letting it idle does not get it no where near full operating temperature. As a result, major condensation is formed. Water in the oil, exhaust etc. eventually causes rust formation and premature engine wear and even failure in extreme cases.

That is only if you start the car during the winter to let it warm up.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Do not start a stored vehicle, you are doing more harm than good.
+1. I agree. I don't start my cars during the winter . There's really no reason. When it's ready to come out of the garage I just change the oil and start it up.

Last edited:

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
+1. I agree. I don't start my cars during the winter . There's really no reason. When it's ready to come out of the garage I just change the oil and start it up.

+2, That's the worst thing you can do to a motor. letting it idle for a few minutes then shut it off is not good, winter or summer. Talk about extreme conditions! You get condensation in your oil, and exhaust system, fuel blow- by in the oil, etc. You would have to run it at normal operating conditions for at least 15 minutes to get it cleared of condensation, and other contaminants in your oil. Check your manual, it's in there.

Users who are viewing this thread