standard vs. svtpp ?

Hourigan218

Established Member
I will be picking up a new shelby but have not decided on getting the svtpp. I'm in my early 40's and dont road race and may only very limited occasionally take it to the track to see what I can do in the 1/4mi. Its really only a street machine for me. Is there a major difference in the two packages as far as handling or any thing else? Both will have the launch control so... and the price is not the problem, I just like the wheels on the standard way better. And as far as the recaros i'm 6'2" and weigh bout 220, i'm comfortable in the standard GT. Will the recaros work for me? Any help out there would be appreciated. Thanx:rollseyes

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
well first off the PP comes with stiffer suspension basically...better for performance
the recaros are a separate option, from what it sounds like you can pass on it and use the money else where..... :beer:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
Recaro's will not be near as comfortable suspension in the ass will be tighter and overall more precise (feels a little rougher) but should be relatively docile.

speedrx

Established Member
It really depends on what you want to do with the car. Even if I was not going to track the car, I think I would go for the PP just because if gives you a tunable ride depending on how you want to drive it. You should get most of your money back on resell because performance options are highly sought after by buyers of performance cars, you will probably have more buyers for a PP car. If you never plan to sell it, this is less of a factor.

Regarding Recaro seats, this is a personal preference, I suggest you sit in both and see which one is the best fit for you.

Atmac

PP and traction

I'm in somewhat of the same boat as the OP. Although I enjoy performance, I likely won't track the car. Can anyone comment on whether the performance package will make a significant difference in getting the tires to hook up from a stop? From the articles on the pre-2013s it sounds like this is a big issue. I recall terrible traction issues with my '84 GT. (Still, I did love that car.) That would be the main reason I'd pony up the significantly extra bucks for the option.

jonesd

Established Member
The thing I really want to know is if you change the tires/wheel sizes, does that throw off the electronic shocks with ride height changed? If so I'll probably opt out of the svtpp...

91svtbird

Established Member
The thing I really want to know is if you change the tires/wheel sizes, does that throw off the electronic shocks with ride height changed? If so I'll probably opt out of the svtpp...

Changing the ride height can throw off any shock absorber's optimal function range.

Colleton

Established Member
...Can anyone comment on whether the performance package will make a significant difference in getting the tires to hook up from a stop? From the articles on the pre-2013s it sounds like this is a big issue...

The PP option didn't help the 11-12 cars hook so why would the 13 be different? It's more for actually racing the car on a road course.

What is going to help the 13 hook are the gearing changes along with the launch control, and you get those with the base suspension.

I'm with the OP, if I get one it will be strictly a DD, and I don't want or need the PP. I'll probably go with the electronics pack and the glass roof.

jonesd

Established Member
On the ford site under the stvpp it lists:

unique instrument cluster

Anyone have any idea what is different about it??

Hourigan218

Established Member
Well thanx everyone for the info. Its true I will probably have to sit in both standard and recaros to settle that but the pp is gonna be the issue. If its a big resale issue i'll probably lean that direction, not that I will ever want to sell it but you never know. I just wish I could get the standard wheels instead of the pp wheels. I'm sure a bunch of you would agree with that!

MUSThaveaSTANG

Established Member
The PP option didn't help the 11-12 cars hook so why would the 13 be different? It's more for actually racing the car on a road course.

What is going to help the 13 hook are the gearing changes along with the launch control, and you get those with the base suspension.

I'm with the OP, if I get one it will be strictly a DD, and I don't want or need the PP. I'll probably go with the electronics pack and the glass roof.

Right on with the gearing and LC comments. The thing about the SVTPP that a daily driver might like is the Bilstein tuneable dampers, so that the ride isn't as harsh under normal driving conditions. For this reason, I will be getting the SVTPP.

On the ford site under the stvpp it lists:

unique instrument cluster

Anyone have any idea what is different about it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P-Q2tdiy1MI#t=275s

See this video, look at the speedo's and RPM gauges at 4:05 (SVT) compared to 4:35. If this is what they're talking about, then standard speedo's are a retro/late 60's look.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
If you look, the video cuts from the GT500 interior to the standard Mustang interior at 4:35, then morphs back to the GT500 to show the lcd display. The "retro" looking gauges are the standard Mustang gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread