standard Transmission

Captain Hook

Established Member
which one do the '99 & up cobras have? Is it the tremec 3650? I know the '03s have the T-56. have any of you guys upgraded to something else? I have had a lot of probems out of my 3650 and I am looking for 5-SPEED alternatives. I called D&D yesterday and they said the 6-speed was my only option. Not to mention no one is rebuilding the 3650 but Ford. Everyone I have talked to said Ford has not released parts to public. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by peterjmc
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

99 = T-45
00R = T-56
01 = T-3650
03 = T-56

CORRECT....

I had probs in the first 3 TR3650's that I had under warranty, got frustrated and bought a t45 from D&D for 999 + shipping, local shop put it in for 185, haven't had any probs since (about 40K miles...)

Joe Lynch

Established Member
I've had great results with a T-45, mainly because I don't power shift it and I don't drive it hard on the street. I'm counting on getting in to the 10s with it in a week or so.

Joe Lynch

Captain Hook

Established Member
Thanks guys. I called D&D the other day. The only thing they told me I could do was the T-56. I dont think I talked to the right guy. I will definately be looking into the T-45.

Joe, I watched the videos of your car, very impressive. I dont think I hammer a car any harder than you do. If anything it was your videos that really have convinced me to look at the T-45.:thumbsup:

Thanks

Captain Hook

Established Member
you guys that went to the T-45 from the 3650, were you able to use your clutch that you used with your 3650?

GodStang

Established Member
which is the best T-45, T-3650, T-56, and don't tell me the T-56 cause it has 6 gears. Which one is strongest?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by GodStang
which is the best T-45, T-3650, T-56, and don't tell me the T-56 cause it has 6 gears. Which one is strongest?

t56 is the strongest of the three by far...

and on the t45 swap, everything is reused but the shifter....

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by GodStang

t56 is the strongest of the three by far...

and on the t45 swap, everything is reused but the shifter....

Captain Hook

Established Member
I cant keep syncros in the 3650. I noticed several people running the T-45 without any problems. I would prefer to go this route. I can atleast have someone rebuild that one if it tears up.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Captain Hook
I cant keep syncros in the 3650. I noticed several people running the T-45 without any problems. I would prefer to go this route. I can atleast have someone rebuild that one if it tears up.

still almost cheaper to buy a new t45 if one tears up....i went through synchros in 3 3650's......t45 has 40K+ miles and still going strong.....

Captain Hook

Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
still almost cheaper to buy a new t45 if one tears up....i went through synchros in 3 3650's......t45 has 40K+ miles and still going strong.....
will the T-45 bolt to the 3650 bell housing? Will it use the same clutch assem? As soon as I rip 3rd completely out thats the plan to go to the T-45. You may have told me this in an earlier post but I am just clerifing, everything will interchange but the shifter
Thanks

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Captain Hook
will the T-45 bolt to the 3650 bell housing? Will it use the same clutch assem? As soon as I rip 3rd completely out thats the plan to go to the T-45. You may have told me this in an earlier post but I am just clerifing, everything will interchange but the shifter
Thanks

the t45 and tr3650 both have integral bellhousings (the bellhousing and tranny housing are one big casting), unlike t-5's and TKO's that have seperate bellhousings....the bolt pattern is the same...the only thing that is different that you couldn't reuse is the shifter...

Captain Hook

Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
the t45 and tr3650 both have integral bellhousings (the bellhousing and tranny housing are one big casting), unlike t-5's and TKO's that have seperate bellhousings....the bolt pattern is the same...the only thing that is different that you couldn't reuse is the shifter...
thanks for all the input. glad to have some good advice. It's kinda funny, I called D&D twice. Both times they are telling me the T-56 is the only choice I have. On the second call I mentioned the T-45 after they gave me all their spill on the trans. They said "oh yea, we just did a T-45 conversion". I was wondering where their mind was the first time I called. I guess they were just trying to push a trans that was twice as much money:shrug:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
My bet is that D&D doesn't get too many requests for T-45 conversions. No matter what you use, you can find someone that has had trouble with it. The T-56 isn't the answer for everyone either. Neither is the TKO, which is what I will probably go with when I break all my T-45s.

Joe Lynch

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Joe Lynch
My bet is that D&D doesn't get too many requests for T-45 conversions. No matter what you use, you can find someone that has had trouble with it. The T-56 isn't the answer for everyone either. Neither is the TKO, which is what I will probably go with when I break all my T-45s.

Joe Lynch

all you need to convert is a shifter though...i wouldn't even really call it a conversion....

Captain Hook

Established Member

Joe Lynch

Thanks Joe. Mines not due to horsepower yet, just having some common problems that a lot are having. I bought my mach 1 with problems from the get go on going into gear. Didnt do it all the time just when it was the most inconvient time like pulling out into traffic. Carried it in to Ford. They couldnt do anything until it did it all the time. This was 3rd gear problems. A month or so later I dropped my daughter off at the baby sitters, came up to a stop sign, tried to take off and it wouldnt go into gear. Thought nothing of it, just locked me out again. From that point on 2nd was a grinding fest. Carried it in again. They replaced 1st and 2nd syncros. I asked what about 3rd? The response was we just fixed what was broke. Needless to say now 3rd gear is grinding everytime you shift quicker than a granny shift. If you go slow its fine. I could carry it again but I'm really tired of messing with it. If I could carry it somewhere that would fix the trans and inspect everything that would be great. Bad thing is 3650's are limited to ford only for repair. They wont release parts to the public ect ect. All these problems and I havent even began to start racing it yet.

I might have a few problems or the same problems with the T-45, but I'll atleast be able to carry it to someone local to be fixed for a lot less money.

Sorry for this being so long. Just thought I should give a little history of my problem.
Thanks, Jim

Last edited:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Jim--thanks for the details. I understand your frustration now. A T-45 may well be the answer for you. I certainly don't have any complaints about mine.

Just got one long shot suggestion for you before you go buy another transmission. Try some GM Synchromesh 12345349 manual trans lube. I've been running it for years in my T-45. The viscosity characteristics are different than the ATF and it might make things a little better, if you want to give it a try. It won't solve a mechanical problem like a cranked blocking ring or something like that, of course.

Joe Lynch

Captain Hook

Established Member
Jim--thanks for the details. I understand your frustration now. A T-45 may well be the answer for you. I certainly don't have any complaints about mine.

Just got one long shot suggestion for you before you go buy another transmission. Try some GM Synchromesh 12345349 manual trans lube. I've been running it for years in my T-45. The viscosity characteristics are different than the ATF and it might make things a little better, if you want to give it a try. It won't solve a mechanical problem like a cranked blocking ring or something like that, of course.

Joe Lynch

thanks Joe, I'll definately give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread