Stalling on restart once warm

2012GTCS

Established Member
Hey all. Recently noticed an issue that my cobra stalls when I shut it off and try to restart it. Even if it’s running for 30 seconds and I shut it down. When I restart it, it fires up as normal (quick jump to 18-2000rpm) but then falls on its face and dies. It seems any heat whatsoever and this happens. Same if I drive it for a while and it sits for 2 hours. It will still occur. Cold starts she fires up perfectly. Giving it a tiny touch of the gas for a second will keep it running and it won’t stall.

-Replaced FRPS 3x, same issue.
-Only recent change was an alt change to a KMJ from stock and a 3.0 Metco pulley which is producing an annoying chirp. Other than that, this started out of the blue.

Typical full bolt on cobra with a stock Eaton, 2.76 Pulley, Longtubes, Siemens 80# injectors, JLT RAI, KB BAP.

Thanks. Any help or places to look would be greatly appreciated.

2004 OW Cobra

LS WUT

Established Member
I’ve never noticed it doing this. Seems to be a new issue. Tuner says everything looks good on the tune

2004 OW Cobra
Check the alternator getting voltage after it’s warmed up. My black one did this recently, turned out even out of the box brand new it wasn’t giving the correct voltage after warmed up.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you scan the car for any DTC'S or CMDTC'S......?

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

2012GTCS

Established Member
Check the alternator getting voltage after it’s warmed up. My black one did this recently, turned out even out of the box brand new it wasn’t giving the correct voltage after warmed up.

Black powder coat? That’s what I have. I will check it legitimately, however, I have a cig plug volt meter that shows a consistent 14.3-14.4, but obviously can’t rely on that.

2004 OW Cobra

2012GTCS

Established Member
Have you scan the car for any DTC'S or CMDTC'S......?

Lightning FastElectrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

No DTCs other than an EGR code since it was deleted, doesn’t pop a CEL, but shows when you run it. That shouldn’t cause this, however.

2004 OW Cobra

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok.... no problem! Check for these as possible cause of you issues

• Check The Following PIDs:
    • DPFEGR (if equipped) (hot idle value within 0.15V of KOEO value)
    • LONGFT1 / LONGFT2 (value between -20 and +20)
    • VPWR (value between 10.5 and 17.0 volts, and within 0.5 volts of battery voltage)

* Also check the following and verify they are working correctly

• Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
  • Secondary Ignition System (Coils,Wires, Spark plugs, ect.....) Miss Fires!!!
  • Fuel Delivery System (Fuel lines and connections,Check for a restricted fuel return line,Relays,Fuel tank,Fuel pump,Fuel pressure regulator,Fuel pulse damper,Fuel rail at injectors,Damaged connector pins,Electrical connectors not fully engaged,*Check fuel pressure)
  • Exhaust System ( Leaks, Restrictions, Excessive exhaust back pressure.You can also check manifold vacuum for an indication of excessive exhaust system restriction)
  • PCV System
  • EVAP System
  • Intake Air System

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
To properly diagnose your charging system/Alternator check for No-Load voltage, Loaded voltaged and a ripple test.

2012GTCS

Established Member
Ok.... no problem! Check for these as possible cause of you issues

• Check The Following PIDs:
    • DPFEGR (if equipped) (hot idle value within 0.15V of KOEO value)
    • LONGFT1 / LONGFT2 (value between -20 and +20)
    • VPWR (value between 10.5 and 17.0 volts, and within 0.5 volts of battery voltage)

* Also check the following and verify they are working correctly

• Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
  • Secondary Ignition System (Coils,Wires, Spark plugs, ect.....) Miss Fires!!!
  • Fuel Delivery System (Fuel lines and connections,Check for a restricted fuel return line,Relays,Fuel tank,Fuel pump,Fuel pressure regulator,Fuel pulse damper,Fuel rail at injectors,Damaged connector pins,Electrical connectors not fully engaged,*Check fuel pressure)
  • Exhaust System ( Leaks, Restrictions, Excessive exhaust back pressure.You can also check manifold vacuum for an indication of excessive exhaust system restriction)
  • PCV System
  • EVAP System
  • Intake Air System

Thank you Vinnie!! Much appreciated. I will start tackling these things. I’ll look up the alternator tests and get them done.
I had a feeling about the MAF, it’s an SCT and hear sometimes they can be bad out of the box. Tuner had said it looked good but I’ll check it out.

2004 OW Cobra

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you Vinnie!! Much appreciated. I will start tackling these things. I’ll look up the alternator tests and get them done.
I had a feeling about the MAF, it’s an SCT and hear sometimes they can be bad out of the box. Tuner had said it looked good but I’ll check it out.

2004 OW Cobra
No problem bud! Didnt mean to throw so many possible causes at ya at one time but these are all possible causes. Take your time and takle one at a time and if you need more help just ask. Good luck and hopefully its a quick easy fix!!

2012GTCS

Established Member
Anyone else ever experience anything like this before and can share their fixes?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread