Stalling issues

Pettinella2005

Established Member
OK guys need some help and possible direction. Have a 1999 cobra and out of the blue about three months ago its would just start dying when I would drive it. No rhyme or reason. Simply running great one minute next minute id would just die. Would turn over but not start. Replaced the Fuel pump, the module in the front passenger fender and the module in the trunk. Checked all electric connections and grounds and it still does it. When it does it I go to the fuel rail and their is no fuel in the rail so its obviously a fuel issue. Last time it did it it was parked in my garage for about two weeks. Would turn over but not start. I sprayed some Starting fluid in the air intake and it started right up. I expected it to die but it ran perfect. and stayed running. Its driving me crazy... what the hell can this be? Code comes up as low fuel rail preassure and something about a driver module issue. Please help!!!

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
can you give us the code numbers, and when you say "start dying when I was driving it" does that mean at idle or while on the gas?

Slowbra01

Established Member
Resurrecting an old thread......but i'm having the same issues now. Was this resolved?

So my 01 cobra starts up fine cold, idles fine, it dies and it reaches operating temperature (i believe). Will crank over, but will not fire up. It will fire up again after a while when it has a chance to cool down. At least this is what i perceive to be happening. Anyone else run into this problem.

I've recently had the fuel pump replaced. The fuel filter i just replaced like an hour ago....still dies after reaching operating temp. Also, i tried to relieve fuel pressure on the rails prior to replacing the old fuel filter, realized there was no fuel going there.

I don't believe it to be a fuel issue since it starts fine and will idle for a while. Can't be a spark issue, because obviously the engine runs fine... at least to the point where it dies.

Any ideas where i should start? I will try to pull codes when i get the chance. Right now there is no check engine light on.

Slowbra01

Established Member
Alost, i just wanted to add more info:

After I finished replacing the fuel filter. I started up the car and let it idle. When it finally died, i heard a sort of release of air (that's what it sounded like). It sounded like when you open the coolant overflow tank and the pressure releases.

I am so confused.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Alost, i just wanted to add more info:

After I finished replacing the fuel filter. I started up the car and let it idle. When it finally died, i heard a sort of release of air (that's what it sounded like). It sounded like when you open the coolant overflow tank and the pressure releases.

I am so confused.

the air release noise is common especially on higher mileage motors. It's unlikely the problem. Is it possible it's a fuel pump heating up, and then getting weak? Is it more likely to do it with low tank level? Do you have a way to monitor fuel pressure and fuel pump duty cycle?

Slowbra01

Established Member
I've no way of knowing if the fuel pump is heating up. I've never come read/come across that kind of problem.

What i can tell you guys is that today, came home from work, i turned on the car, it fired right up. After about 15 mins when the car gets nice and warm, it just turns off. I checked the plugs and they all seem relatively normal aside from residue due to the worn out valve cover gaskets. I also sprayed carb cleaner around the bay to see if there are any vacuum leaks, and nothing.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Complete shot in the dark but maybe it has something to do with the car going into closed loop once it warms up? Like an O2 grounding out or some other random thing?

Slowbra01

Established Member
I do believe it has something to do with the car going into closed loop. I'll check the wires on the o2 sensors and I'll report back on what I find.

I have an o/r x pipe. I know that the rear sensors aren't used when in closed loop. I've never had a tune installed. Been running with the CEL on since I never put MILs on the car.

Slowbra01

Established Member
OK...So i looked at the O2 sensors...i'm surprised as how clean my car looks underneath! Wires look fine and are snuggly in place.

Checked the connection plug of the Cam Position Sensor and its on there snug as well. Cleaned the grime off, disconnected the connectors, cleaned the connectors, and plugged it back in.
I removed the CCRM just to check it, smell it if it has a burnt smell, seems fine.

Tomorrow, going to put back the CCRM back on, change the IAC which i've already bought before, might as well put it on now and see if it makes a difference.

Any ideas guys?

svt_cobra01

Established Member
OK guys need some help and possible direction. Have a 1999 cobra and out of the blue about three months ago its would just start dying when I would drive it. No rhyme or reason. Simply running great one minute next minute id would just die. Would turn over but not start. Replaced the Fuel pump, the module in the front passenger fender and the module in the trunk. Checked all electric connections and grounds and it still does it. When it does it I go to the fuel rail and their is no fuel in the rail so its obviously a fuel issue. Last time it did it it was parked in my garage for about two weeks. Would turn over but not start. I sprayed some Starting fluid in the air intake and it started right up. I expected it to die but it ran perfect. and stayed running. Its driving me crazy... what the hell can this be? Code comes up as low fuel rail preassure and something about a driver module issue. Please help!!!

Thanks
Bob

thats strange ive had a similiar issue with my 01 cobra. i would drive it and out of no where the car would just die out, happened rarely i would say it would happen 4-5 times in 6 months. i would sometimes be cruising and just die out of nowhere bit it always started right back up. it wasnt a big issue so i never found out the cause of it. my car ran strong had 0 issues, new plugs and coils, no check engine light. in your situation i would think some type pf fuel pressure issue or pats module. had to replace one of those and it wasnt cheap at the dealer

Users who are viewing this thread