Stainless steel valves or leave stock?

Carlos c

Established Member
Getting my heads ported, Comp springs and turbo cams.
Can't make up my mind on the valves.... Looking at Ferrea but are pretty expensive. Are there much benefits that would justify around $750?
I hear the stock exhaust valves are inconel also....

Thanks,
Carlos

Ironhand

Banned
Do you plan on going with oversized valves or stock sized valves?

Manley has an offering for valves as well.

Carlos c

Established Member
I would go oversized if replaced. I also like to stay away from anything made in China.

Last edited:

blackshelby

Getting my heads ported, Comp springs and turbo cams.
Can't make up my mind on the valves.... Looking at Ferrea but are pretty expensive. Are there much benefits that would justify around $750?
I hear the stock exhaust valves are inconel also....

Thanks,
Carlos

Don't waste your money on new valves nothing out there that is any better flowing then the stock ones....... The stock one's are plenty strong too, especially what you are looking to do.

Spent hours and hours on the flow bench, flowing almost every valve out there, compared to the stock valves.
Flowed them on crazy ported heads, mild ported heads, on stock heads etc (up to .550 lift) You wouldn't want a cam with more than .500 lift anyway in these motors.
In fact most aftermarket exhaust valves flowed less then the stock one's.
Ford has a real nice tulip shape on the exhaust valve that works great.(they did their homework on that valve)
The only way you will get a better flowing valve is to play with clay on the valves and then send them out for a custom set which is mega bucks.

Do not go to an over-sized valve either.
The only way to even see a potential from an oversize valve in these heads would be with a larger bore(like a 5.8 bore) You will kill flow going to a larger valve on the 5.4 bore.

Last edited:

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
Would think the advantage to the Ferrea would be weight savings. At some point (and I don't know what that is) the redline 'critical speed' moves from the bottom end (as you replace the rods, fasteners, and pistons with something significantly strong and more light weight) and moves to the valvetrain where the stock components have a hard time keeping up past some number.. :shrug:

blackshelby

Would think the advantage to the Ferrea would be weight savings. At some point (and I don't know what that is) the redline 'critical speed' moves from the bottom end (as you replace the rods, fasteners, and pistons with something significantly strong and more light weight) and moves to the valvetrain where the stock components have a hard time keeping up past some number.. :shrug:

Nothing there, if you want to save a decent amount of weight look into replacing the stock retainers with a good set of titanium ones. If you reaching the rpm where the stock valves are an issue you would need more then just valves.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
I went through my heads and the valves was about the only OEM thing in there. Not having or had any issues.

Carlos c

Established Member
I appreciate all the great info, definitely answered my question. Looks like I will stick with the stock valves. Not planning on revving high so the Comp springs with the Chromemoly retainers should be good.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread