Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
At the Russell's the way to go or are there some better units out there? I can get Russell's #693400 front and rear for $132.02 shipped. Sounded pretty good.

Also, How do I get all the old brake fluid out of the system and to go with new fluid at DOT 5? What's the procedure for this on a 98 Cobra?

Thanks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
At the Russell's the way to go or are there some better units out there? I can get Russell's #693400 front and rear for $132.02 shipped. Sounded pretty good.

Also, How do I get all the old brake fluid out of the system and to go with new fluid at DOT 5? What's the procedure for this on a 98 Cobra?

Thanks.

You don't want DOT 5 brake fluid unless you plan on storing your car in a museum for 10 years or more.

Use the Ford DOT 3 or any other good aftermarket high boiling temp fluid and make sure it's fresh.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
You don't want DOT 5 brake fluid unless you plan on storing your car in a museum for 10 years or more.

Use the Ford DOT 3 or any other good aftermarket high boiling temp fluid and make sure it's fresh.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

what about running DOT4 ok the street?

For the record I am running J&M SS lines.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports sells excellent SS brake line kits front and back. I think they are made by stoptech. Do not use dot 5 fluid! Dot 3 or Dot 4 is fine

wheelhopper

Established Member
Castrol GXF is great for the street and even some track use. Same with the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid. They are both inexpensive as well.

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Ok - So the russell or MM lines are ok. What about how you change the brake fluid out? I'll go with Dot 3-4 but, how do I get all the 11 year old fluid out of the lines? Process?

MFE

Established Member
Draw the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster or something, and fill with fresh fluid. Bleed the right rear until the fluid comes out clean, and add fluid to the res periodically so it doesn't run dry. Then move to the left rear, bleed til clean, then right front, then left front. Plan on using a couple quarts of fluid.

David Hester

Established Member
um, I've bled my system with 2 12 oz Motorcraft HD. 24 oz is less than a quart total. I bought it for $3.00 a bottle by the case from local Ford Dealer
I really like Wilwood 600. That's what I use in the A/sedan car.
Wilwood EXP - 12 oz. Bottle At Up To 90% Off Retail Price.
I still use Motorcraft in the street car. Works well for autoX and daily driving.
Original Ford HD (now Motorcraft HD) was developed for snow birds that drove from Michigan to Florida with their left foot on the brake all the way in their Lincoln Towncars back in the '70's. Figure if it could take that kind of abuse, it's fine for me.;-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
um, I've bled my system with 2 12 oz Motorcraft HD. 24 oz is less than a quart total. I bought it for $3.00 a bottle by the case from local Ford Dealer
I really like Wilwood 600. That's what I use in the A/sedan car.
Wilwood EXP - 12 oz. Bottle At Up To 90% Off Retail Price.
I still use Motorcraft in the street car. Works well for autoX and daily driving.
Original Ford HD (now Motorcraft HD) was developed for snow birds that drove from Michigan to Florida with their left foot on the brake all the way in their Lincoln Towncars back in the '70's. Figure if it could take that kind of abuse, it's fine for me.;-)

A buck and a half an ounce and it's 90% off?!?!! :eek: Now THAT is some expensive brake fluid! ;-):poke::p

Are they telling us that stuff is normally $15 an ounce?!? :lol:

Silly me, I thought Castrol SRF was expensive at $85 a liter. They are giving that away!! :-D

David Hester

Established Member
LOL
no no no
SOME of their brake fluid is 90% off. Not this one.
Wilwood 600 is usually $15-$19 a 12 oz bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread