staggered rotation

elyrain

Established Member
Some of us have staggered tires, wider in the back, more narrow up front. My first 4 sets of tires for my car, besides DR's, were kuhmos. And I never rotated them. But never had any real uneven wear on them either.

I just bought a set of 275/35/18, 245/40/18 nitto nt555's. Do you think it'll be worth the money to rotate them every 10k or so. It'll just be a left to right swap obviously, but does anyone else have this done? It'll cost about $42 to have them rotated.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
L to R I wouldnt worry about it, unless you start to notice uneven wear side to side. Front to back is a different story but is not an option with different size tires front to rear.

roach4047

Established Member
I imagine they classify them as unidirectional and marke them Left and Right for a reason. My daughters tires are nittos and they're specifically marked Left/Right. I would think that they wouldn't want the tire mounted "flipped around" for a reason but honestly I'm not for sure. That's one I'll have to ask the next time I'm at the tire store.

Last edited:

elyrain

Established Member
You act like I'm crazy for even considering it, lol. It was just a thought. It's only $42 for a total remount and balance, on $800 tires. I didn't think it was worth it because I get pretty even tire wear, but like everyone, I want to get the most mileage out of my tires.

How about another question, my last set of tires were the same all the way around, unidirectional, do you think it would be worth $42 to rotate those tires every 15k miles or so? Say at about half the life of the tires? Seems like a plausible idea to me.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I don't rotate and I get pretty even wear across the board with no issues.

I don't like breaking down a tire more than once. Seen too many beads break after multiple dismounts.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
I imagine they classify them as unidirectional and marke them Left and Right for a reason. My daughters tires are nittos and they're specifically marked Left/Right. I would think that they wouldn't want the tire mounted "flipped around" for a reason but honestly I'm not for sure. That's one I'll have to ask the next time I'm at the tire store.

if you look at the inside of her lets say left rear wheel it will be marked as right even though the outside that you see says left. as he has been saying, if you re mount the tire facing the opposite way on the wheel, it makes no difference.

and it is just a waste of money to do so. just leave em

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You act like I'm crazy for even considering it, lol. It was just a thought. It's only $42 for a total remount and balance, on $800 tires. I didn't think it was worth it because I get pretty even tire wear, but like everyone, I want to get the most mileage out of my tires.

How about another question, my last set of tires were the same all the way around, unidirectional, do you think it would be worth $42 to rotate those tires every 15k miles or so? Say at about half the life of the tires? Seems like a plausible idea to me.

On a normal car, you should rotate tires every 6,000 miles. So, if you did your thing, that would be what 5 rotations, assuming 30,000 mile tread life. That's over $200, not worth it for a few more miles out of the tires.

Just move the front to back and back to front on the unidirectionals. If your alignment is good, the wear will be differnt front to back, due to turning, and not left to right. By the time you did 15k miles, you've probably set in any significant wear pattern. It's really not that big a deal if you keep them properly inflated and a good alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread