Stage 3 Cams ?

_XXX_

Established Member
Here's my question I have been considering stage 3 cams for my truck street/strip. What is the issue with running them on the street compared to stage 2 cams?

:??::dw:

Last edited:

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I don't know what you guys call a stage 3? But I have the CompCams 278 on mine. About the only things I've adjusted for part throttle operation is:
- increasing the low speed 1-2 shift by 1 or 2 mph
- idle rpms (750 in D and 900 in N)

One other thing I've not done yet but really ought to, is to raise the TQ convertor unlock speed in 4th gear. Sometimes when you've coasted down to 35-ish mph in 4th and the convertor is still locked.. the rpms are just too low for these cams. Anything more than 10% throttle and the engine runs rough. It's a minor detail.. but one that I need to change in the tune.

Rich

_XXX_

Established Member
So basically it's just the rough idle... and some fine tuning issues with driveline....

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
One of my friends had stage 3 heads and cams, and he didnt have any driveability issues.. Hed turn the idle RPM down a little, and that thing sounded NASTY!!

RUthLEss03

11.24@123
Established Member
I have these cams. Idle is 800rpm.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvuLKDWpPs"]YouTube - SVT Lightning Exhaust[/ame]
And here's a track run...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNx-WF9SOiA"]YouTube - 12.03 Pass[/ame]

_XXX_

Established Member
Sounds Sick... Nice truck I'm def. all for that idle ... it'll be alot harder to tell people I'm stock now lol

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
I have these cams. Idle is 800rpm.
YouTube - SVT Lightning Exhaust
And here's a track run...
YouTube - 12.03 Pass

Hey Ruthless what kind of heads are you running? I assume you changed the valve springs with the 278 cam??? I am planning on going with these cams this winter in my engine build and was just wondering what else I would need to get to run them. Also what exhaust do you have? Your trucks lope sounds killer man!!!

RUthLEss03

11.24@123
Established Member
I have ported stock heads with Crower springs and titanium retainers (THESE). The heads were ported by my engine builder. I'll see if I can dig up a couple pics of the port work....
The exhaust is OBX headers & mids, catless, and an old DI-DO muffler. Not sure what brand it is. It was on the truck when I got it.

Found one.
build10.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread