Stage 1 comp cams comparison ?

lenny127

Established Member
I know it may not be the most popular choice , but i have a daily 2014 Coyote FBO on e85 CJ and while i wouldnt mind hitting 500whp from the 466/406 it put down I dont really want to trade a decently broad torque curve for some 5500-8000 pulling machine.

Wondering if anyone has b4 and after comparo on stage 1 and possibly 2 to see what i am comfortable living with for my daily duties and some drag racing on the side.

thanks

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Skip the stage 1 comps and go with Ford Racing 290 deg 11mm lift exh cams. They are much cheaper and have similar gains.

rotarymagic

Established Member
For the price paid to install cams, just get comp stage 3's without limiters (you won't see any losses downlow). You're already used to the powerband that it will still retain since you have a cobrajet intake on the car.

lenny127

Established Member
Per Shaun (who I've always trusted my car with at the dyno ) the 3s will drop as much as 60ft lbs below 4K , and while in a drag race idgaf about anything below 5k at launch and 6-8k the rest of the race , I live in SoCal and strict tracks mean 10s and no cage aren't going to happen . So a better blend of an all around enjoyable powerband is perhaps more suited for my needs .

The 4 choices are CJ exhaust , 1,2,3 comps and of course I would add some opgs and boss valve springs .

Just trying to make the best educated decision , car runs great as is ... Just finished the tune couple Saturdays ago .

Doesn't seem many use the 1s , perhaps the 2s are a better choice for me .

This is the car now

3FBAC0EA-358E-4CD5-B6D4-DA75727F72CC.png_zps3a6htq5j.jpg

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
You put down identical numbers to me on the same dyno. Except I was on 91 oct. Shaun told me that the comp stage 1 cams put down similar numbers as the 11mm CJ ones from ford. Here is my sheet with Ford racing 11mm cams. I wonder if you got the 2015 cyl. heads your # are really good.

sheet%204.jpg

And here is a comp stage 3 dyno sheet. Sorry, I don't have any comp stage 1 or 2 sheets.

dyno%20sheet%20comp%20cam3%20boss%20and%20lt.jpg

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
What does the car run now at the track? You might not really need cams, seems like you have some good numbers to run with right now if you cant run 10's and don't want a cage.

lenny127

Established Member
You put down identical numbers to me on the same dyno. Except I was on 91 oct. Shaun told me that the comp stage 1 cams put down similar numbers as the 11mm CJ ones from ford. Here is my sheet with Ford racing 11mm cams. I wonder if you got the 2015 cyl. heads your # are really good.

sheet%204.jpg

And here is a comp stage 3 dyno sheet. Sorry, I don't have any comp stage 1 or 2 sheets.

dyno%20sheet%20comp%20cam3%20boss%20and%20lt.jpg

Thanks , I was actually looking at your thread amongst others . Yeah 515-520 would be great , having wings and flying without an airplane would be pretty awesome too but I live in realityville and I'm 42 so I'm not after track glory although I adore drag racing for past 25 years .

Since this is my daily , and I mean I got rid of my beater cause it was just collecting dust , I not only make compromises for reliability and longevity but also keep in mind that any street launches above 1200 are useless on a day to day basis so from the info I have seen so far the baby CJ exhaust cams seem to be a better fit for me .

They seem to retain basic street manners below 4500 vs stock and pick up from 20-30whp max afterwards .

Never mind that they're 1250 bucks cheaper . So far I think I'm digging the baby CJ s

lenny127

Established Member
What does the car run now at the track? You might not really need cams, seems like you have some good numbers to run with right now if you cant run 10's and don't want a cage.

Let me start with my excuse book as to why I'm not fast lmao

3900 lbs with me (I'm rather hefty to say the least , 4 bills )
SoCal air , usually run 1700 da for best results (that's a cool day )
And since it's my daily and I have no aspirations of being the quickest mofo I purposely choose to drag race on 19s and NT05r s manual 3.73 , slipping and dumping the clutch off the line , so 1.6s is about as good as it gets for the 60

Stock manifold about 32 whp less I ran 11.8x @ 116.x with a 1.69

Hoping to try this new set up with CJ and see if I can get the boot with an 11.49 @ 119.x and lower 1.6s ....

Here was my best run stock mani

http://youtu.be/jz0w74jCSoI

Users who are viewing this thread