SRT8 Jeep - Good family vehicle?

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
I just sold my KB Cobra and I'm trying to talk my wife into getting the SRT8 Jeep (as somewhat of a "compromise vehicle") instead of a Tahoe or similar SUV. We'll both drive it from time to time and it'll only see about 8,000 miles a year - if that. We'll take it on road trips a couple times a year, and once in a while it'll see a dirt road when we go camping and whatnot.

I know the gas mileage sucks; I don't care. Aside from the gas mileage issue, would you consider it a decent family vehicle? We're pregnant with our first kid and only want two kids.

My main concerns with this vehicle are ride comfort, interior comfort/space, and any known problems these vehicles are notorious for having. I need some input from people who are well-versed with these vehicles or have a good knowledge of potential problems/downfalls of owning one (if any). I've done my research but I want some experienced opinions. I really just need to go out and drive one again...I drove one a few years ago and loved it, but never considered it for a family car - just a fun SUV.

Lets hear your thoughts...thanks in advance! :beer:

SVT BLACKOUT

THE BATRUCK
Established Member
I love that thing my buddy has one but if big people are in front seats the back seats won't feel roomy but compare to a stang its very spacious haha

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Go buy the car seat you plan on using and take that with you when you go look. Kids have to be rear facing for at least a year (Dr's recommend at least until 2 now) and the nicer car seats are usually huge and will take up lots of room, possibly making your front pass seat useless for anyone over 5ft tall.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Go buy the car seat you plan on using and take that with you when you go look. Kids have to be rear facing for at least a year (Dr's recommend at least until 2 now) and the nicer car seats are usually huge and will take up lots of room, possibly making your front pass seat useless for anyone over 5ft tall.

Best spot is in the middle. Better protection from a possible side impact.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Found a pic of a rear facing seat in a '11 GC

6a00d83451b3c669e20162fddc3faa970d-800wi

Looks like the front seat doesn't have to be moved forward that much

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Best spot is in the middle. Better protection from a possible side impact.

True. That could also impact the reclining of both seats depending on how wide the car seat is vs the room between the front seats. He also mentioned having 2 kids. That will be a factor if they have them close enough together if they're both in car seats at the same time.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
Found a pic of a rear facing seat in a '11 GC

6a00d83451b3c669e20162fddc3faa970d-800wi

Looks like the front seat doesn't have to be moved forward that much

Nice! Being able to see that helps me out quite a bit. I think it'd be okay for a front seat passenger as well as safe for the kid.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
True. That could also impact the reclining of both seats depending on how wide the car seat is vs the room between the front seats. He also mentioned having 2 kids. That will be a factor if they have them close enough together if they're both in car seats at the same time.

My wife has a Q5. We used to keep our first son in the middle. Zero reclining issues and it's smaller than the Jeep. Now we have a second child and unfortunately, both car seats are on the sides. Not enough room to have one in the middle...that spot is now reserved for the dog. Lol. Time for a third row!

Stevo151

Established Member
Ive been trying to convince my dad in trading his charger r/t for a jeep srt8 but yes just not into the looks of it. I absolutely love the way they look and the power they make is great! I'd love to own one. What kind of mpg's do they get anyways? Like 14? Lol

chris mac

long time lurker
Established Member
not sure if you're wanting a brand new one or the older body style, but i got my wife an 06 GC SRT8 a couple years ago. it's her daily driver and besides the gas mileage, she's only had a couple gripes about it. the factory Brembo brake pads squealed a little and made quite a bit of dust so i swapped them out for some Wagner Thermoquiet pads. they don't stop like the Brembos but she ain't racing it so they're fine. second gripe was the rear Bilstein shocks were kinda weak and would bottom out over bumps when you had passengers in the back. i put some adjustable QA1's on the rear and problem solved!
as for interior room, i'm 6' 4" and when i'm driving with someone sitting behind me i have to move the seat forward a little but not enough to make it uncomfortable. the wife's 5' 2" so that's not an issue for her!
overall, the ride is good and comfortable and there doesn't seem to be too many quality issues with it. she's been looking at the new body style GC SRT8s and wanting to get into one of those, but i ain't ready to shell out that much cash so she's gonna have to stick it out in the 06 for now!

good luck

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
not sure if you're wanting a brand new one or the older body style, but i got my wife an 06 GC SRT8 a couple years ago. it's her daily driver and besides the gas mileage, she's only had a couple gripes about it. the factory Brembo brake pads squealed a little and made quite a bit of dust so i swapped them out for some Wagner Thermoquiet pads. they don't stop like the Brembos but she ain't racing it so they're fine. second gripe was the rear Bilstein shocks were kinda weak and would bottom out over bumps when you had passengers in the back. i put some adjustable QA1's on the rear and problem solved!
as for interior room, i'm 6' 4" and when i'm driving with someone sitting behind me i have to move the seat forward a little but not enough to make it uncomfortable. the wife's 5' 2" so that's not an issue for her!
overall, the ride is good and comfortable and there doesn't seem to be too many quality issues with it. she's been looking at the new body style GC SRT8s and wanting to get into one of those, but i ain't ready to shell out that much cash so she's gonna have to stick it out in the 06 for now!

good luck
Thank you! That's the kind of info I'm looking for...along w/ the previously posted info about the car seats. I'm looking to get into an 08-10, btw. The money they're asking for a 2012 is rediculousness...

chris mac

long time lurker
Established Member
Thank you! That's the kind of info I'm looking for...along w/ the previously posted info about the car seats. I'm looking to get into an 08-10, btw. The money they're asking for a 2012 is rediculousness...

yeah, i think that the interiors on the 08+ are better than the previous years... my wife's gonna have to wait a few years for the price to come down on a used new body style before she gets one of those!
i like getting people in the Jeep for the 1st time and pulling up to a stop, turning off the traction control and nailing it. every response is the same... "HOLY CRAP! i wasn't expecting that!" it's awesome!
i think you/your wife will like it.

good luck

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
if she wants a tahoe, get one. then magnacharge the hell out of it and enjoy. it will be a 13 sec truck no problem. add in the other small bolt-ons(TQ converter, e-fan, headers/catback) and you would have an even quicker truck. if you stay with just the magnacharger you still have a comfortable street truck with sleeper looks and fantastic reliablility. they have better ground clearance, more room and i believe a better warranty. i dont think jeep has the 100k powertrain on the srt8? oh and tahoe is much cheaper to save for diapers, babysitters....baby crap.

also the recent trend with jeeps catching on fire may be a little hokey pokey.

i love the GCSRT8 but its like the srt4/evo/sti group. everyone has one. be a "unique" dad.

http://www.magnacharger.com/p-71-ta...-48l-53l-2011-2012-magnuson-supercharger.aspx

oh and if you look in the specs section, optional 100k powertrain warranty....hehe

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
i love the GCSRT8 but its like the srt4/evo/sti group. everyone has one. be a "unique" dad.

It is very rare to see an SRT8 Jeep around here, which is just the opposite of the Tahoe. The looks of the Tahoe are boring, and lets be honest, that would play a significant role if I were to trade my car for a SUV.

I say go for the SRT8, but that is only because I have always wanted one.

ViciousJay

Established Member
the ole' lady gave me a go ahead to get it but man the gas prices scare me away. Ill be in the same boat as you OP next year with kids. I love the SRT8 but the gas scares me with it going up to 5 bucks plus the tires arent any good for snow

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
It is very rare to see an SRT8 Jeep around here, which is just the opposite of the Tahoe. The looks of the Tahoe are boring, and lets be honest, that would play a significant role if I were to trade my car for a SUV.

I say go for the SRT8, but that is only because I have always wanted one.

they are on every corner around here. old/new and inbetween....

the jeep isnt the best looking thing out there either...tahoe, boring? if you added a set of nice TF wheels i wouldnt think so. change it up a little and keep a warranty. i know for sure jeep wouldnt warranty shit if you put anything on that truck. tires=money, brakes=money, maintenance on a factory hi-po vehicle=money. regular tahoe with some added hp adjustments=normal price....im thinking about the children, THE CHILDREN!

i dont have kids, but i know they are expensive as hell. think about having extra dough laying around after the fact of buying the truck + any upgrade and still keeping a warranty so that if it does break, you dont have to fix it. THE CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN!

oh and i have always wanted a GCSRT8 also, so im not bashing them. id take an 06 with a KB and some black six spoke TF wheels if i could.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread