SRT-8 (tuned) 3-0 vs. stock '03 Cobra

Deuuuce

Established Member
UPDATE 12/4: Has Magnaflow mufflers and he kept the traction control on. Rematch sometime I hope!

Before you ladies get your panties in a bunch, let me repeat he's stock and a new owner.

So my neighbor just bought a very nice, stock '03 with the optional wheels. Looks great, sounds even better. I ran into him on the road today and he was game. He had a passenger as well.

I was running cool, solo, and about 1/3rd tank of gas. On my 91oct tune, my daily driven numbers are 398/422. 413/432 is the race gas tune.

The runs were two from 30mph or so and one from 50/55mph. All were in the meat of my powerband. I think we were both spinning on the low-speed ones and he inched me a little and then once I hooked up with a little wiggle I pulled a couple of cars by the time we shut down.

Despite the newness factor, my car was clearly quicker.

Driver mod may be needed (new owner) and one missed shift (I think) during a run I didn't count.

Never got to triple digits, kept it safe. We'll have a rematch sometime, I'm sure.

So what are the optimal speeds for a Cobra to go from a roll in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears? I want to give him the same benefit I had next time.

Yes, all 3 were from a roll. Yeah, I know it's gay :rollseyes, but it was quick, safe and all we could do, but GO HOME Machs! :banana:

Yes, with bolt-ons he could/should beat me.
Yes, with a pulley I'm dead meat.
Yes, a rematch is needed.
Yes, on my stock tune (385/382 with bolt-ons) it would be closer.

Anyway, just posting for fun and to find out what speeds he should be at next time.

Also, not ALL Cobra's dyno 390rwhp stock, what is the range? SRT-8s tend to be 350-355 to 385 depending upon the year/conditions/dyno. Mine was 365/348 heat soaked, stock.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i put down 375 stock, if i remember correctly. i was stock for 200 miles.

from a 40-45mph roll in second, my car is pretty tough. from 80mph in 3rd, these cars move out. 55mph is a dead spot--too high for 2nd, way too low for 3rd.

i don't often roll race from 1st gear, but a stocker should be good from 1st, as long as his tires aren't shot.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Dyno's vary, however anywhere from 360 ish - 390 ish is typical.

Good kill though. As mentioned above the Cobra's are good from a 35 - 40 mph roll start. Alsosome Cobra's shift worse than others, namely mine. I swear my 3 - 4th gear shift takes 5 mins alone.

Get some video's next time.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like he needs to learn out to drive. I raced a SRT8 a couple weeks ago and had ~3 cars on him at 120. I started pulling off the jump and was still pulling when we let off.

I don't know if he was stock or not, but if he was, it sounds like with your mods it would a little closer.

Either way, good runs.

Last edited:

Deuuuce

Established Member
Damn dude, 50+ rwhp just from a cai, catback and tune.

Progression:

365/348 stock heat soaked (could be higher when cooler)
370/355 CAI
385/382 adding catback, hi-flow cats and manifold spacer

different dyno:
388/398? canned 91oct Diablo tune
398/422 custom 91oct tune
413/432 96oct tune

I have a theory the heads & cam are pretty optimized. They don't seem to respond like an LS1 head/cam in terms of rwhp.

Also, maybe 2 spark plugs per cylinder with 10.3:1 compresson allows for more radical timing?

Last edited:

Deuuuce

Established Member
all srt-8 chargers are roughly the same. different cosmetics

There are reports from tuners the 07s/08s dyno higher, but its 5rwhp? and once bolt/tuned, they are all the same.

Dyno's vary, however anywhere from 360 ish - 390 ish is typical.

Good kill though. As mentioned above the Cobra's are good from a 35 - 40 mph roll start. Alsosome Cobra's shift worse than others, namely mine. I swear my 3 - 4th gear shift takes 5 mins alone.

Get some video's next time.

Good to know. His passenger filmed it so I'll have to get it.

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
nice kill Rob...

we still gotta meet up and get in some friendly runs...

i wanna run you on your stock tune and also your 91 octane tune

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
speaking of meeting up...

what are you doing 2mrow night? alot of locals get together in Union City...you should come, maybe we can roll out that way together and get in some runs on the freeway...

...just for thought

Deuuuce

Established Member
speaking of meeting up...

what are you doing 2mrow night? alot of locals get together in Union City...you should come, maybe we can roll out that way together and get in some runs on the freeway...

...just for thought

You know, I'm actually free tomorrow night. PM or text me details and we can talk tomorrow. Thanks!

MGTerminator

Established Member
Cobra's usually dyno about 360-390 rwhp bone stock.

A roll at about 20 in first would be no good him in the cobra lol, these cars skate around a bit because the tires just light off. 2nd at about 45 would be a good one. about 60-65 in third would also be a good race.

Also, give him a bit of time to get used to the car and it might be a better race, these cars stock clutches are beasts (sucks in stop and go traffic) and its a little bit tricky to get used to them IMO.

EDIT: Nice kill btw!

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Love your write up. Good Kill! I bet it was a nice feeling to beat that Cobra! When I first got mine, it took a little time before I really knew how to launch and drive this car compared to my old Mach 1.

Do it for real and race him from a dig.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
If you raced from a dig, with him slipping the clutch around 3K, not too aggressive, it would be pretty interesting.

Even though you have more power, the weight difference should be enough to make that up.

2nd gear at 40 is a sweet spot. 2nd gear at 60 is high, but if he can shift fast enough, he will jump ahead. 3rd @ 75-80 is very strong. 3rd gear in Cobra's pull very hard.

Good kill!

Users who are viewing this thread