SRT-4

Infra-Red SVT

Established Member
So what do you guys and gals think of this Neon? No i'm not trading in my SVTF. I was thinking for a second car. I've never owned a Dodge product.

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
First off, i havent had a chance to take a ride in one yet, so heres what ive heard.

1) Handles on par with our SVTs.
2) Power is ample.
3) Quite a bit of potential, much more than our car.
4) Interior is as bad as it looks, but the seats are pretty nice.

As for what i think, its ugly as hell. Dual tips, on a 4cyl, is about as stupid as it gets. Im not a fan of the Neons styling at all, and it being a 4door just completely destroys what little beauty it had in the first place. If I had $20,000 for another car id take a GTI 1.8T. Or even better a used one with reasonable mileage and spend the rest on parts.

Twisty

Established Member
The car is fast I know that I wanted to test drive one but there not out yet. Putting down 215hp and 250tq at the wheels is damn good stock. Now I like four doors and I was also thinking about one for a second car but I want to drive one first.

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
Originally posted by Twisty
The car is fast I know that I wanted to test drive one but there not out yet.

Im quite sure theyre already out. Maybe you meant the local dealership hasnt gotten them in yet?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Was privy to a street race as a passenger vs. a B18C1 a few weeks back...Quick little devil, those SRT-4s...

Osiris

Established Member
They're fast. Mopar sells stage I,II,II parts for it that make it even faster.

There are already examples of these cars running mid 12's.

I hate Neons. But its really hard to ignore this car's potential. If anything, I hope this car pushes Ford to do something respectable in response, all things point to this.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
My only concern for the SRT owners is head gaskets. I've taken at least 15 neons in on trade at my dealership. Most have had at least one head gasket job, depending on mileage. It's actually come to the point that I ask each customer trading one, "So have you done the head gasket yet?". I've never been told no, except on a 8800 mile trade in. I hope the guys at SRT beefed it up along with the other pieces. Ciao!

NHSVTF

Established Member
I seems to me that the neon is made to be an econo car, and dodge has achieved this by cutting corners and lowering quality where and whenever possible. I checked out the Neon R/T when I was shopping for what eventualy turned into the SVTF. It was the least impressive car I got it. The interior (something that you have to put up with ever time you're in the car) was terrable. Head room (I'm 6'2") was missing, and the handling was nothing better then you'd get in an average family sedan.

If you want another car, and can afford it, get the Tuiberon GT-v6. I drove that and liked it a lot. Plus it's one of the most beautiful cars out there, easly mistaken as a much more expensive Italian super car.

my 2 cents.

BLUFOCUS

Established Member
SRT4

SRT-4 has some where between 230-245hp at the wheels!!! SOme of you older guys may remember the old days when manufacutures hid actual hp to keep insurance cost down. It is ugly, but damn fast. A dealer in NJ has one marked up $4,000 for market adjustment?? My SVT is great looking and handles awesome,although the steering should be tighter. All SVT's should come with a super charger/limted slip standard.

Wild Bill

Established Member
I would consider it.I wanted to test one the same day I tested the Evo,but they didnt have one on the lot. The fools were talking about a 6k markup! For 20k its a great deal,for 26k hell no. I've read they've also built the engine similar to the Cobra to handle that extra power.I think the car looks descent. I saw one at the track running about 14.1-14.2 with the temp plate still on.Not to shabby. If you get one let us know how much you paid.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I read the Road and Track article where the SRT measured wheel horsepower was in the 230+ range. Rated at 215? Crazy! That is a ton of power for 20k. With some upgrades and some bigger tires, it could kill GT mustangs every day all day. My supercharged SVTF is a lot of fun, but not nearly as fast. I wonder how much fun the SVT would be with that much power? Hmmm....

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by NHSVTF
I seems to me that the neon is made to be an econo car, and dodge has achieved this by cutting corners and lowering quality where and whenever possible. I checked out the Neon R/T when I was shopping for what eventualy turned into the SVTF. It was the least impressive car I got it. The interior (something that you have to put up with ever time you're in the car) was terrable. Head room (I'm 6'2") was missing, and the handling was nothing better then you'd get in an average family sedan.

If you want another car, and can afford it, get the Tuiberon GT-v6. I drove that and liked it a lot. Plus it's one of the most beautiful cars out there, easly mistaken as a much more expensive Italian super car.

my 2 cents.

R/T <> SRT-4
R/T <> ACR

R/T is nothing more than an appearance package.

Infra-Red SVT

Established Member
Thanks for your info everyone. The dealer i talked yesterday The sales men said they are not going to mark the car up. I'll see if he'll stick to his word. I should have gotten that in writing. He said to check back with him in the next day or so. right now i'm keeping my options open. I heard of a rumor the SVT has a Turbo focus they are testing out. I think i saw that at Focaljet site. Lets hope SVT and Ford come up with something if they want to compete in this market. I think they would be stupid if they don't do something. The SVT Focus is a great little car.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Tired

As for what i think, its ugly as hell. Dual tips, on a 4cyl, is about as stupid as it gets.

Duals over shit cans any day IMO... Even if it is only a 4 cylinder.

Also to those of you who are just saying the Neon R/T is just an apearence package... Its a suspension package, thats why its called R/T (Road and Track).

Last edited:

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Duals over shit cans any day IMO... Even if it is only a 4 cylinder.
To lightly express my hated for useless exhaust mods, id put a 4ft tall wing on the roof of my Focus before i got dual tips. :-D

Primaris

Established Member
From the web site:

15- and 16-inch wheels available
4-wheel independent suspension - sport-tuned with rear stabilizer bar on R/T
Available 4-wheel disc antilock brakes
Power rack-and-pinion steering - performance-tuned on R/T

Sorry I just can't call "sport tuned" a handleing package. If you want look on the site. The R/T is mostly dress up items. Hell it comes with 16" all season tires.

Users who are viewing this thread