sra or irs?

cleohsvt03

Established Member
i recently got back into a 99 cobra that obviously has the stock irs in it. i want to go to 4.10 gears, as i had them in my old 99, but im thinking i want to change to an sra. what are everyones opinions on this swap? positives? negatives? worth it?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think worth it is subjective. I like my IRS. It's one of the reasons I got into Cobras. If I was a straight line guy I'd go SRA. But I like my IRS for the daily drive and canyon carving.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you plan to get aftermarket Arms, Springs and Dampers?

My understanding is a properly setup SRA will out handle the IRS system all day. It will also hook significantly better and save 100lbs.

The downside is it won’t be as smooth over rough streets.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I love my IRS in my 01 despite the cobra clunk (which will be fixed soon). Nothing against you corbic but from what I've read a properly set up IRS smokes a SRA no matter what. Just my two cents

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
My understanding is a properly setup SRA will out handle the IRS system all day. It will also hook significantly better and save 100lbs.

Maybe a highly modified SRA will out handle a stock IRS, but get real. That's like saying a Camry is a faster car than a GT500 but only if you drive the NASCAR version.

OP, unless you are interested in making it into a drag car, save the time and energy and keep the IRS. I've swapped everything out on my IRS with the exception of the subframe and the control arms, by myself, with the car on jackstands. No lift, no fancy tools besides the ones that MM or Bruce sells you with the kit. It's not that bad, just time intensive, and it's not really even required. The car will handle very well with a set of sub frame connectors, good tires, shocks and springs, even better with coil overs. I did everything because mine isn't a street car anymore.

There's a reason that every sports car has an IRS, and it's not because making cars more complicated is a good thing.

Recon

Established Member
One of the first power train mods I'll be doing to the Mach I'm looking at buying is IRS and T-56.
You can make both do well in a straight line or in corners, but SRA is better in a straight line and IRS is better in corners.

Users who are viewing this thread