SRA: Breaking the welds on the axle tubes

DanielB

WHPPLD
Established Member
This has happened twice now. My car is a 620hp 03 Cobra with a SRA. I have 31 spline moser axles, TA Girdle, trac-lock posi, and 3.73s. The suspension consists of MM Extreme duty lowers, steeda double adjustable uppers, lakewood 50/50s, and welded torque boxes. I have broken the welds on the driver side axle tube twice now and I cannot figure out why. I will be taking the rear end out tomorrow and I will post some pictures then. Here is a picture of it before it went into my car. I have had the rear end built by a very reputable guy here in town and he has never seen anyone do it twice before either.

fixed003.jpg

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I never welded mine up, neither have i launched with slicks at the track. The nittos just spin. But it is leaking a bit of gear oil from one side.

DanielB

WHPPLD
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys!

The guy that is welding/building my 8.8 did this for someone else and wants to put it on mine:

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Looks like it wasnt welded properly to me and it just pulled the tube out.

After the first time did you reweld the housing or use a new housing? If you reused your housing did you check to see if it was straight and didnt twist?

DanielB

WHPPLD
Established Member
Looks like it wasnt welded properly to me and it just pulled the tube out.

After the first time did you reweld the housing or use a new housing? If you reused your housing did you check to see if it was straight and didnt twist?

Got a completely new housing.

The guy that did said that he usually MIG welded them. Mine was one of the first one he TIG welded on so maybe that was the case? Hopefully this one is still straight and I dont have to buy another housing. :nonono:

sb03cobra

Established Member
Got a completely new housing.

The guy that did said that he usually MIG welded them. Mine was one of the first one he TIG welded on so maybe that was the case? Hopefully this one is still straight and I dont have to buy another housing. :nonono:

They are not easy to weld because the tubes are thin. You must heat up the center section with a torch and then weld it. If not you will not have enough penetration.

Also it needs to be in a jig to make sure the tubes stay true. No way I would let him weld mine on that set-up in the pics.

You would be better off going to shop that builds cars and has the correct equipment. Yes it cost more, but its cheaper than doing it two or three times.

Good luck.

jmiller

Established Member
"Also it needs to be in a jig to make sure the tubes stay true. No way I would let him weld mine on that set-up in the pics."
I agree with the above quote. I have and also recommend the axle braces from PHP.

Users who are viewing this thread