squeeling noise help!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i have a loud squeeling noise coming from under my hood. it goes away if i spray some wd40 on the tensioner pulley but i've already changed the tensioner and idler pulley. all i can figure is the tensioner arm but it sounds like a rotational squeel. anyone else deal with this already?

crazycarlo

Established Member
hmm if uve already changed the tensioner and idler pulley then start looking at the alt and a/c comp. It coudld be the bearing going bad in one of those man.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
the only part i dont get is right when i hit the tensioner pulley with wd40 or something it instantly stops.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
well i changed the idler pulley, tensioner pulley and even bought another new pulley and changed it again. it still makes noise. this sh*t is aggrevating.

crash13

Established Member
I had the same problem. I just replaced the alternator, idler pulley, and the tensionor and pulley. I would throw on a new tensionor. I had the same exact problem and the new tensionor stopped the squealing. Funny thing, it only squealed when it was cold. The new tensionor solved that problem. Now I hear more aggravating noises!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
EXACTLY!!! it only squeels when its cold or rainy. when its dry, no problem at all. ill try the new tensioner arm. thanks!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Are you still looking at picking up the tensioner arm from me?

I had no noise coming from it when I removed it from my car.

CJK440

Established Member
Was there any changes to the front accesory drive system around when this started?

First thing I would do is check pulley alignment between the crank pulley and all the other grooved pulleys. Use a straightedge and a caliper to compare all the other grooved pulleys to the crank pulley.

If the pulleys are not aligned close enough, the 6 v shaped ribs end up meeting off center and "skidding" down the pulleys ribs as it runs. Basically like a constant belt burnout. :burn:

In my case, my belt noise started when a new shortblock was installed. For some reason, some tolerance stackup allowed the balancer to install to far on. I made a shim that I installed on the crank that spaced the balancer out enough to put it in-line.

After that, try a new belt but not before you fully clean and scuff all the pullies, ribbed and smooth to deglaze them.

More info.

Troubleshooting Belt Noises - by Dayco

Users who are viewing this thread