Squeeking... when I turn my Steering Wheel. Wtf? (And a few other maintanance ?'s)

01BlackSnake

Established Member
Is this my steering column? Suspension?

It happens whenever I turn my steering wheel. It's a high pitch squeeking.

Thoughts?

Also... how often should you replace certain fluids, like tranny fluid, for example?

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
Be a bit more descriptive.... Do you hear it more inside or outside and what side? You will need to roll down the windows and listen or have someone stand outside while you turn the wheels. Also, is it any worse when it is rolling or is the noise constant and just as loud no matter what/when you turning the wheels?

Mach0ne351

Established Member
could be ur brake pads are ready for replacement. thats what happened to me. it only squeeked when i turned the wheel. check ur front pads.....

-marek

NXSVTCOBRA

got my squeak when turning the steering wheel on both cobras i've owned at around 40-45k miles both ended up being the inner tie rods and it was best and easier to change the whole rack and pinion..... happened on both cars

Last edited by a moderator:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
check ur brake pads first. if they need to be replaced, because there is no more pad left, that might be ur issue. it was for me. i replaced the pads, and squeek was all gone

01BlackSnake

Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
check ur brake pads first. if they need to be replaced, because there is no more pad left, that might be ur issue. it was for me. i replaced the pads, and squeek was all gone

My brakes have been squealing forever. I don't know how that would tie in, intuitively.

It sounds like more of a suspension problem... does it when the car's not moving, either.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
not a whole new rack and pinion, just tie rods. jack your car up and grab the tire at the 3 and 9 position. have someone get underneath and watch the tie rod ends while you pull the tire back and forth. if there is movement they need replaced. to check the ball joints do the same thing but pull from the 12 and 6 position. if there is movement in the ball joint it needs replaced.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
got my squeak when turning the steering wheel on both cobras i've owned at around 40-45k miles both ended up being the inner tie rods and it was best and easier to change the whole rack and pinion..... happened on both cars

Nonsense, an inner tie-rod tool makes changing them a snap. You can rent one at AutoZone.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
FWIW - check your power steering fluid level. If it's low on fluid (it shouldn't be, but in case you have a slow leak or something...) it can make a similar sound when you turn the wheels. If it's not that, I would probably look at the tie-rods for sure.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
01BlackSnake said:
Hm... never heard of such a tool.
It's basicly a really really deep socket. Just tell them what you need and what kinda car you're working and and they'll hook you up.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
another vote for outer tie rod ends...very easy to replace, and might as well do both at once, save some work down the road, and if possible put some greasible ones on...should be able to get them for 20-30 bux each....make sure to get an alignment soon afterward to correct the toe....

LIKE IT

Established Member
undefined
COBRA90GT said:
FWIW - check your power steering fluid level. If it's low on fluid (it shouldn't be, but in case you have a slow leak or something...) it can make a similar sound when you turn the wheels. If it's not that, I would probably look at the tie-rods for sure.
This is so true!, my wife honda odessey did the same thing. Low on fluid, it has an internial leak, it keep getting low.

Users who are viewing this thread