squealing noise while driving

air_commando88

Established Member
I have an 04 gt with around 84000 miles on it, this morning as i was driving to work i noticed a squealing noise coming from what sounded like the engine bay. it doesnt do it at a stop and i noticed this afternoon that it stops when i push in on the clutch. Clutch was recently replaced so i took it to the shop and the put it on a lift and went through the gears but couldn't replicate it which i thought was odd til i listened for it myself and couldn't hear it either, but as soon as i left there it was again! any ideas?

DaBigBone

Established Member
sounds like a wheel bearing, tap the break while your driving, if it goes quiet its a wheel bearing.

sounds to me like a throw out bearing issue..i had the same problem on my 99 around 88k.

+1. I've seen lots of similar issues with the same problems your talking about and it turned out to be a wheel bearing.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
It's more than likely a throw out bearing. If you BARELY touch your clutch pedal...while at a stop with the engine running and it stops...this is more than likely your culprit. If the shop didn't replace the bearing or put in a FORD THROW OUT BEARING, (might have used a generic brand) this is usually what happens.

air_commando88

Established Member
its pretty hard to hear sometimes and its not always doing it. my wife can never hear it so i hope its just not me! wheel bearings are usually pretty loud and on going right? I hope they put the right throwout bearing in because i just got a new exhaust system put on and i don't want them ripping it all apart to get into the tranny again!

air_commando88

Established Member
Im sure you dont want to hear it but the TOB or pilot bearing is making the noise.

will this hurt the car? the problem is..the car won't do it all the time, the shop couldn't replicate the problem so they dont want to tear it apart which sounds like crap to me. A TOB will squeal even at a stop right?

4valvemach

Established Member
For now NO but it could go bad if never fixed,did the grease anything or they just slapped it together?

My car did the same thing started off as a small squeal every once in a while then on every start and while driving.One night going home pushed the clutch pedal down and BANG the TOB broke in half.It was then followed by the sound of marbles in a metal can as the bearings rolled around the bellhousing.I was able to make it home just shifted without the clutch:D

I put in a new TOB and pilot bearing from Advance Auto Parts no problems yet been about 30k miles.When I did mine I greased (VERY THIN FILM) the TOB,pilot bearing ,pivot ball for the clutch fork and the shaft the TOB rides on.

Last edited:

cotchnobra

Established Member
I had this happen many times. especially with the old 5.0's with a T-5. sometimes its because the bearing retainer on the trans is worn they will start to get scored up. the o.e. bearing retainers are a bit weak and you can get new steel ones that won't wear as bad. I had a 04 gt have a TOB start squeling at 20k miles. sometimes you just get a bad on.

Users who are viewing this thread