Squeal from motor area

baer42

Established Member
When I start my truck it squeals like a belt is slipping. Tonight I went to change both belts it still makes the noise with the belts removed. Usually the noise goes away after about 15 to 20 seconds once I get going. Any body have any ideas?

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Have you tried taking the belt off and spinning the idlers or Alt pulley? Had that happen on my Cobra, took belt off and Alt was squealing.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I had a horrible squeel and it turned out to be a stock supercharger idler pulley. However, if you've pulled the belts and it's still squeeling, check for exhaust leaks (head/header or head/exhaust manifold). I've read on here that it's one possible source.

baer42

Established Member
Wouldn't an exhaust leak be a constant noise? This goes away after a little bit. But I will check it out

Wave100205

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Not necessarily, the leak could seal itself as the metal heats up and expands. Normally that happens over a period of a couple minutes though, not 15-20 seconds.

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
I have the same EXACT issue after letting my truck sit for about 7months. only on cold start though. I ordered a new tensioner for the access drive and 2 new idlers. I have Metco idlers for the blower side so it can't be them.

whatwhine

Established Member
i have the same issue currently. all stock pullies on engine... im gonna do metco 100mm idlers and new belt with new 4lbs lower. see if that fixes the squeal......

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I had this twice on my L... first time a change of belts took care of the noise. Second time it didn't get fixed because I traded it in before it got bad. ><

Both times it began after it had sat for the winter in storage, and it was significantly more pronounced on humid days. On those days it was a squeal until the engine warmed up, on less humid days it was more like a couple of crickets were having a chirp battle under my hood.

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
I had this twice on my L... first time a change of belts took care of the noise. Second time it didn't get fixed because I traded it in before it got bad. ><

Both times it began after it had sat for the winter in storage, and it was significantly more pronounced on humid days. On those days it was a squeal until the engine warmed up, on less humid days it was more like a couple of crickets were having a chirp battle under my hood.

That's on the Money Right there!!!

Users who are viewing this thread