Squeaking from the engine (Video inside)

dec322

Established Member
I had my head gaskets changed about a month ago. During this time I had the timing chains, gears, tensioners, followers all replaced. Ever since I got the car back I've had a squeaking coming from the engine. I thought it was just a pulley or something so I thought I'd take care of it myself. Well, that time is here and I don't know how to fix it.

At first I thought it was the alternator pulley but now it sounds like it is coming from the tensioner pulley area. Is this a common problem?

Here is the video:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjPQS8fcqiM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjPQS8fcqiM[/ame]

rcurtis

Established Member
That's the tensioner, I've had to replace two. They make two types, one is a heavy duty one. If you call Steve at Tousley (sp) Ford in the sticky he can let you know the difference.
Rick

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
That's the tensioner, I've had to replace two. They make two types, one is a heavy duty one. If you call Steve at Tousley (sp) Ford in the sticky he can let you know the difference.
Rick

+1, sounds very similar to when my tensioner went out, however my car made the squealing noise all the time, not just when it was revved, which kinda leads me to think it could possibly be something else. Take off the belt and spin all the pulleys by hand and see if any of them make a noise (if you haven't done so already).

dec322

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll work on it tonight after work and report back when I know something more.

cobra_guy5

E-Green FTW
Established Member
Def. the tensioner pulley. Had the same exact problem about a week ago, replaced the idler pully - no luck, then replaced the tensioner, and that solved the problem.

mikej9983

Established Member
Like the other guys said, probably the tensioner pulley. Mine is doing the same thing right now, and it also did it a year ago when I had to change the tensioner then to.

dec322

Established Member
Yesterday I sprayed some WD40 on it and today it isn't squeaking anymore. I'm sure it will come back so I think I'll just replace it anyway.

So, I stopped by the local ford place and they quoted me $200 and some change. My jaw dropped and he said that he had another one there for $94. I guess that is the difference between HD and non-HD but they don't know what their talking about. I'm going to see what it cost from the sticky at the top of the forums.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Yesterday I sprayed some WD40 on it and today it isn't squeaking anymore. I'm sure it will come back so I think I'll just replace it anyway.

So, I stopped by the local ford place and they quoted me $200 and some change. My jaw dropped and he said that he had another one there for $94. I guess that is the difference between HD and non-HD but they don't know what their talking about. I'm going to see what it cost from the sticky at the top of the forums.

Do NOT throw away your money at a stealership. Steve can get you the upgraded steel 3 bolt tensioner for about $120 and it comes with a new belt as well. Well atleast thats about what mine cost when I replaced my tensioner about a year and a half ago.

dec322

Established Member
Do NOT throw away your money at a stealership. Steve can get you the upgraded steel 3 bolt tensioner for about $120 and it comes with a new belt as well. Well atleast thats about what mine cost when I replaced my tensioner about a year and a half ago.

I pm'd him earlier today so I'm just waiting to hear back from him. So the upgraded one is made of steel? What is the original made from...aluminum?

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I'm not 100% sure on that, but they may be. I bought a cheap replacement one from advance auto and it snapped in half when I was trying to do a burnout. Just call Steve he will give you the hook up.

I pm'd him earlier today so I'm just waiting to hear back from him. So the upgraded one is made of steel? What is the original made from...aluminum?

dec322

Established Member
+1, sounds very similar to when my tensioner went out, however my car made the squealing noise all the time, not just when it was revved, which kinda leads me to think it could possibly be something else. Take off the belt and spin all the pulleys by hand and see if any of them make a noise (if you haven't done so already).

Ok. I just pulled the belt off and spun the pulleys. None of the pulleys make a noise. The tensioner pulley spins easy and fast. I'm thinking that it is ok. The idler pulley (I'm assuming this is the one above the tension pulley) does not spin so free and easy. I'm going to assume that this causes the squealing and I just can't spin it fast enough to get any results. So, I'm going to replace the idler.

Here is the new problem. How do I get my tensioner to move? I took the belt off by taking the tensioner off. I know that is the wrong way to do it :shrug:. By looking at the tensioner I see that I need to put something in the little hole but it is smaller than a 1/4 and bigger than a 7/32. I can't get anything in it that will give me the leverage to move it down to put the belt on. Any secrets?

dec322

Established Member
Well, I muscled the belt back on using a pair of vice grips. I also replaced the idler pulley and now I am squeal/squeak free.

Thanks for the help guys.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Glad to hear you got it fixed, good thing you didnt jump straight to a tensioner, they are much more expensive than just an idler. :rockon:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Oh, and the right way to take the tensioner off is to just stick a 1/2 inch ratchet into the little slot on the tensioner, and push down on the ratchet (like you were tightening a bolt). It is a spring loaded tensioner, so when you push down on it, the tension on the belt is released. I'm really surprised you even got the belt back on without doing that.

Edit: depending on the tensioner, you may or may not be able to fit in a 1/2 inch ratchet. I know before I swapped over to my 03 timing cover and tensioner, i had a bolt that you threaded into the tensioner and tightened it until you were able to push the tensioner all the way down.

Last edited:

dec322

Established Member
Oh, and the right way to take the tensioner off is to just stick a 1/2 inch ratchet into the little slot on the tensioner, and push down on the ratchet (like you were tightening a bolt). It is a spring loaded tensioner, so when you push down on it, the tension on the belt is released. I'm really surprised you even got the belt back on without doing that.

Edit: depending on the tensioner, you may or may not be able to fit in a 1/2 inch ratchet. I know before I swapped over to my 03 timing cover and tensioner, i had a bolt that you threaded into the tensioner and tightened it until you were able to push the tensioner all the way down.

If/when I do replace the tensioner I'll buy one with a square hole. I read about the bolt that needs to be threaded into the hole but it doesn't look like a threaded hole. It looks more like an allen wrench shape.

Yeah, there is no way to get the belt on without pushing the tensioner down. I did it with some vice grips. It wasn't easy but it wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm just glad they didn't slip while I was pushing down. I kept thinking about it slipping off and me ending up flipping into the engine bay...scraping my knuckles and forehead.:fm:

dec322

Established Member
Just replaced mine..

Did it work?

I drove the car today and it started squealing for a couple of minutes and then it quit. The noise wasn't as constant as it squealed. Maybe my tensioner is going out :shrug:.

I'm going to keep an ear out and try to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread