Squared set-up advice

Braden

Shake N' Bake
Established Member
Was going to put LS wheels on my Boss but now I think it makes more sense financially and functionally to do a squared setup.

Is anyone out there running 10 inch wide wheels all the way around on their boss? What size tire did you do? Any notice of decreased steering response or rubbing/clearance issues.

I'm thinking a 285/35/19 would be ideal on all four corners. Whether it be on a 9.5 or 10 inch wide wheel. What you guys think?

KBBoss302

Established Member
I am running the 19x10 Boss 302S wheels all around with 285/35/19 RE-11s. No clearance issues at all, although I did trim the front upper swaybar bolt on both sides for a little bit for peace of mind. I like the lateral grip of the RE-11s but they don't have the forward bite that the stock PZero Corsas had (I have a '13 Laguna) so I am contemplating other tire options.

Due to all of the things I had done to the suspension (UCA and bracket, LCAs, relos, panhard bar and brace, KW V3s), I was getting more understeer than I like with the stock 255/285 setup and now that is definitely not an issue. It is very neutral with a slight oversteer bias which I like.

KBBoss302

Established Member
The PZCs have a firmer ride compared to the RE11s so its not really an apples to apples comparison but its not like suddenly the steering is incredibly heavy or anything. If anything, the steering has better feedback at high cornering loads. Most people probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

senderofan

Established Member
DSC00521_zps75cf60cb.jpg
DSC00526_zps21f94ffb.jpg
DSC00518_zps9e0bf8a3.jpg

I'm running 18" x 10" Team Dynamics rims with 305 mm- 650 Continental slicks at all four corners. I have to run a 5 mm wheel spacer up front for peace of mind.....the inner edge of the tire was about an eighth of an inch from rubbing against the the strut spring perch. I understand you probably aren't going to be using slicks...but I can attest to you that I have zero problems with my steering and I have more grip than courage in many of the corners on my local track. A secondary benefit from my 18" rims is tire selection and cost.

Square set up should not be feared. Make sure you know what offset to get and if you need a spacer for your front wheels.

Wayne

Last edited:

Braden

Shake N' Bake
Established Member
DSC00521_zps75cf60cb.jpg
DSC00526_zps21f94ffb.jpg
DSC00518_zps9e0bf8a3.jpg

I'm running 18" x 10" Team Dynamics rims with 305 mm- 650 Continental slicks at all four corners. I have to run a 5 mm wheel spacer up front for peace of mind.....the inner edge of the tire was about an eighth of an inch from rubbing against the the strut spring perch. I understand you probably aren't going to be using slicks...but I can attest to you that I have zero problems with my steering and I have more grip than courage in many of the corners on my local track. A secondary benefit from my 18" rims is tire selection and cost.

Square set up should not be feared. Make sure you know what offset to get and if you need a spacer for your front wheels.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

That is great info. I'm looking into going to an 18 for the numerous benefits over a 19 inch wheel as well.

01svtL

Established Member
What do you guys run on the street? I'm looking at going with either 19x10.5 +45 w 285/35 or 18x10 +50 w 285/40's squared. I think I'm going to go with the MM Road and Track springs (1.7f and 1.9 rear drop) and Koni Yellows for a good balance of street/track use. My GT is my DD.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
I am running the 19x10 Boss 302S wheels all around with 285/35/19 RE-11s. No clearance issues at all, although I did trim the front upper swaybar bolt on both sides for a little bit for peace of mind. I like the lateral grip of the RE-11s but they don't have the forward bite that the stock PZero Corsas had (I have a '13 Laguna) so I am contemplating other tire options.

Due to all of the things I had done to the suspension (UCA and bracket, LCAs, relos, panhard bar and brace, KW V3s), I was getting more understeer than I like with the stock 255/285 setup and now that is definitely not an issue. It is very neutral with a slight oversteer bias which I like.

Do you have any pics of your setup? I may go this route instead of the 19x10 AMRs.

2013Boss302

Established Member
I am running 18 x 10 Forgestar F14s with 295/30/18 R888.

I have no rubbing issues.

The tires get close to my coilovers but do not rub under heavy load.

IMG_4801.jpg

Braden

Shake N' Bake
Established Member
I am running 18 x 10 Forgestar F14s with 295/30/18 R888.

I have no rubbing issues.

The tires get close to my coilovers but do not rub under heavy load.

View attachment 19062

That looks good! What color of F14's is that? I'm pulling the trigger soon on this so still contemplating on tire width up front. With the 10" wide up front would you see any issues if you lowered the car?

Last edited:

2013Boss302

Established Member
That looks good! What color of F14's is that? I'm pulling the trigger soon on this so still contemplating on tire width up front. With the 10" wide up front would you see any issues if you lowered the car?

They are gunmetal grey.

My car is lowered on coilovers.

With a stock strut and spring design i think they will rub.

Voltwings

Established Member
So since we got people in here talking about square set ups ... What setting do y'all run your suspension on? Right now I'm 3.5 all the way around, but i've heard of a lot of people making their bosses firmer in the front. However, those people usually also have a wider rear tire... so thats why I'm thinking i should stay even front to back? Thoughts?

Braden

Shake N' Bake
Established Member
They are gunmetal grey.

My car is lowered on coilovers.

With a stock strut and spring design i think they will rub.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid they'd rub on the stock setup. Wonder what kind of offset @senderofan is running up front to not have clearance issues??

darreng505

Established Member
So since we got people in here talking about square set ups ... What setting do y'all run your suspension on? Right now I'm 3.5 all the way around, but i've heard of a lot of people making their bosses firmer in the front. However, those people usually also have a wider rear tire... so thats why I'm thinking i should stay even front to back? Thoughts?

By 3.5 are you talking damper settings? If so you should adjust it based on how the car handles. The general rule is if the car pushes tighten the rear or loosen the front and if its loose do the opposite. Much of that too will depend somewhat on driving style.

Voltwings

Established Member
By 3.5 are you talking damper settings? If so you should adjust it based on how the car handles. The general rule is if the car pushes tighten the rear or loosen the front and if its loose do the opposite. Much of that too will depend somewhat on driving style.

Yes, i should have been more specific. I have my first "real" track day coming up soon, so i was just wanting to have all my ducks in order so to speak before that day comes. Thanks for the heads up on making adjustments though.

Users who are viewing this thread