Square tire setup question

av8tr

Established Member
How often should I need to rotate my tires. I went in this morning for an alignment check due to some cupping on the inside of the front tires. Alignment was all in the greens and the tech told me I should be rotating at 4000 miles. Does that make sense? I've never had to rotate any tires at that interval.

86Fbody

Established Member
How often should I need to rotate my tires. I went in this morning for an alignment check due to some cupping on the inside of the front tires. Alignment was all in the greens and the tech told me I should be rotating at 4000 miles. Does that make sense? I've never had to rotate any tires at that interval.

I was told every 5k miles so that sounds about right.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I haven't been able to rotate tires on my cars for years, due to staggered setups. However that recommendation seems a bit excessive. I would think 6-9K miles would be more reasonable. As for the inner tire/shoulder wear, is you car lowered? Probably a small camber adjustment is all that is needed. The factory alignment spec is not necessarily the best, a good alignment shop should be able to make adjustments for you based on the tire wear. You will probably need the eibach camber bolts for adjustment.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
The best answer is 3-5K for the first 2-3 rotations, 5-7K from 15,000-30,000 and 7-10K for above 30,000 miles. Knowing that not a single guy in this forum is going beyond 30k... that range is for your wife's suv.

The reasoning behind this is that your tires tread is not that much unlike a tall building. Ever been at the top of the Hancock or Sears tower in Chicago? Those thing sway feet at the top! No movement at the bottom of course, which is how a new tire works. You have quite a bit more tread squirm and motion on a new 10/32 tire than a 6/32 or 2/32 tire. Tread squirm = internal heat, internal heat = wear. Your tire will wear measurably faster in the first 2/32nd's than the last 2/32nds.

I bought a 15 dollar tread depth gauge and check periodically. You never want to be more than 2/32 apart front to rear on a square setup, so that's an easy way to stay on top of it. Otherwise, plug in where you are into that format above. The math works out the same as every 5 k, which isn't a bad rule of thumb... just not specific enough. That is especially important for sports cars that can often (as you found) be prone to uneven wear. Its not like we drive aggressively or anything! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread