sqeeking problem solved

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Just to let everyone know if you come across a problem with a sqeeking type of noise at start up (mostly cold start) and most of the time goes away after a few minutes (sometimes longer, sometimes it does not go away) it may be your serpentine belt/pulley (not the timing belt/tensioner). I had this problem for about the last 5 months. Most of the time it would go away after a few minutes so no big deal but was very annoying and did not affect driveability at all but was embarrassing as I drove down the street with it sqeeking...it was loud. You may also tell as the sound speeds up with the rpms of the car...something to look for. I talked to FordParts Steve and he thought it may be the belt/pulley/tensioner and he sent me those parts. I did the pulley and belt first to se if that took care of the problem and now no more sqeek :banana:Many people have had problems similiar to this and found it to be everything from cats breaking apart to loose heat shilds to broken cat brackets, you name it. Just giving everyone a heads up.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
Unfortunately my tensioner pulley bearing seized and the pulley melted then blew apart when my wife was driving to Arizona from California. She was in the desert in the middle of nowhere, 60 miles out of Needles (those of you without AAA, get it). The belt melted and got rubber residue all over the other pulleys. Warranty covered most of the costs, but still got me for like $200 (but on a $600 bill it wasn't that bad). So yeah, if you hear a squeeky wine/grindy sound, check out that tensioner pulley!

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Unfortunately my tensioner pulley bearing seized and the pulley melted then blew apart when my wife was driving to Arizona from California. She was in the desert in the middle of nowhere, 60 miles out of Needles (those of you without AAA, get it). The belt melted and got rubber residue all over the other pulleys. Warranty covered most of the costs, but still got me for like $200 (but on a $600 bill it wasn't that bad). So yeah, if you hear a squeeky wine/grindy sound, check out that tensioner pulley!

wow that really sucks..... I can imagine how she felt stuck out there by herself.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread