sputtering at high rpm. 90 lx .

EFFURJDM

Established Member
hi guys so a month ago i bought a 1990 lx mustang. owner said was sitting since 04 , but would start it up ounce and awhile. on the oil filter it said 04-12-02 , so im guessing the tune up was a bit pass due.

ever since i got the car it would sputter up to 3grand at WOT . car starts up every time , and runs fine at cruising speeds in town or at a 75 mph on the freeway.

so i google and did what others did and suggested.
i have changed the
spark plugs
plug wires
oil
oil filter
gas filter
and cold air intake.
some one said maybe clogged cats , so i got a pyppes o/r x pipe and now the car revs up to 4g but then starts to run bad again after that.
car had very little gas when i got it and looked inside the tank seemed good.

so i can only think of fuel pump is going bad. i already dropped the tank to change the sending unit so would hate to do it again.

when i floor it and push it it makes a loud pop/bang i think from the back or from the right side of the front car .dont seem to be a back fire cuz u can feel it threw out the car. and i know what a back fire is , its not this. im not 100% sure what else it could be.

so i need help lol
any help would be great thx guys .

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
1. Have you pulled check engine codes?
2. Have you checked fuel pressure at WOT?
3. Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
4. What is your timing set at?

fivestangs

Established Member
The rubber diaphram in the fuel pressure regulator is probably shot, especially if it sat up for 8 years...you need to get a good mechanical fuel pressure guage on there and run the car up to WOT. Also, hindsight being 20/20 and all, it probably would have been prudent to change out the fuel pump considering how long the car sat.

buddha93

Established Member
TFI, MAF, FP reg and pump as was metioned.........could be a lot of things from a car that has sat for that long.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I echo the above sentiments, but your description sounds to me like a fuel problem. I'm guessing either your regulator or your pump are shot (or both).

Users who are viewing this thread