Spun rod bearing question

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
It doesn't really belong here, as it was on my GF Cougar, but I know there are people here that know stuff and we have the same issue on the Cobras.

Got a loud knocking when engine was revving, when I let off the throttle or gave throttle it was silent so I suspected the rod bearing or a piston pin. Ordered new bearing and opened it today. One bearing was toasted.

The crankshaft was pretty ok, luckily, just needed a bit of polish and it was ok. I replaced the bearing with new bolts and it's silent now.

My question here is, what now?

I measured the sideplay of the rod toward the crankshaft, tolerance is 0.10mm - 0.30mm, service max 0.35mm it says in the Ford technical service manual. I measured the play here to 0.70mm on this rod, the others were within tolerance. I didn't really notice any excess wear on the rod, but then again I didn't check all that much before I torqued it in place.

Will this result in lower oil pressure on this rod? The only way to fix it that I know of is to replace the crankshaft + rod, I don't want to do that. Would it be better to consider start using some other grade oil? Now I use 5W40. I'm worried I'll have a knocking bearing again after some 10-20k miles or so :??:

I'm a bit confused how the side play was so high, have never seen this before, and I'm not really sure of the consequences. I've been running the same oil in the VW without any issues. The Cougar only have 100k miles of which 30k are ours (prevoius owner didn't use synthetic oil as far as I know)

Inputs..?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you happen to check the side of the rod and crank journal? Chances are they ground on each other and removed some material. Did you check the clearance between the bearing and crank journal? Excessive clearance will cause low oil pressure there.

At this point I'd just keep an eye on things. The repair might last 100 miles or it might last 100k. Since it's not a performance set up I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread