Springs vs coil overs?

Electrokid

Established Member
Ok, so I have a little debate to settle with my cousin.

I want to get the eibach pro kit for my 12 gt, but he keeps warning me against them. Now I know that coil overs are better, but for just regular street use, is there anything wrong with just getting springs?

He claims that over time, using springs will hurt the suspension?

Can anyone help me settle this?

Also, if I was to get the Pro kit, is there any other parts that I need to get along with them? Or can I just do springs?

908ssp

Established Member
Generally speaking a stiffer spring should have stiffer rebound on the shock. So if you can afford a matched set you're better off. The advantage of coil overs for the front [the term is used when the spring perch is adjustable because strictly speaking all strut suspensions are coil overs] is that you can fine tune your ride height to match the load on the springs. The rear you will seldom see coil overs and I'd stay away from them as the coil on the shock impinges on the rear tire size and puts pressure on the frame where it is wasn't designed to be. They do make adjustable perches for rear springs in the stock locations and this is what you typically see with front coil over kits.

alex12gt

Established Member
i run pro kit springs on my stock and dont have a problem at all theres a lot less roll in the corners and the ride really didnt change at all......as far as your debate goes your cousin is wrong its just fine

for springs most likely you will need an adjustable panard bar and camber bolts some people get away with out them but i needed them and they are only $25 anyway

mjc1055

Established Member
He's probably referring to the fact that if you run aggressive springs with the stock shocks/struts, they'll probably fail sooner than they were designed to. This is true. However, if you replace the shocks/struts, then there's nothing that you would be harming with a shock/spring combo that you wouldn't be harming with a coilover setup.

Also, for a daily driven car that you aren't going to be tracking much, a good shock/spring combo is the way to go from a financial standpoint. Cheap coilovers (or at least coilovers that are in the same price range as your standard springs + shocks) are usually of poor quality.

Last edited:

Electrokid

Established Member
Ok, so replacing shocks and struts + adding a new adjustable panhard bar and camber bolts will keep my car from potentially being damaged?

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
Alot of people just talk shit without really having experienced a decent budget coilover.
Everyone I have met with springs/struts wishes they had gotten coilovers after they ride in my car. My Fortune Auto (Müller Suspension, for domestics) setup cost me $1100. Fully height and dampening adjustable. Check my old posts for more details

Also, I have tracked my car (drifting) as well as daily drive it regularly and do not find it that unbearable in terms of comfort. Handling, as well as wheel/tire clearance is also far superior.

551823_345400848879816_881583482_n.jpg

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
You can damage shocks if you throw an unmatched spring on. They will prematurely wear.
I am positive though if you get a SET of springs/shocks(struts.. whatever) that are matched you will have no problems.

Last edited:

jayman33

Hey brother, I sent you a PM. Springs are fine but with that being said I would suggest getting shocks and struts, Koni STR are your best bang for your buck, LCA's and Adj. PHB. Upgrade your strut mounts as well or even pick up some caster/ camber plates if you can swing it.

SD_Stang

Established Member
I think overall a good coil over set will be better then a spring set-up however will you get the use out of that as a dd or casual drag race car probably not. I'd love to get a Griggs coil over set-up but settled on Koni yellow adj/w Eibach pro's.

Black-Venom

03 Venomus
Established Member
Alot of people just talk shit without really having experienced a decent budget coilover.
Everyone I have met with springs/struts wishes they had gotten coilovers after they ride in my car. My Fortune Auto (Müller Suspension, for domestics) setup cost me $1100. Fully height and dampening adjustable. Check my old posts for more details

Also, I have tracked my car (drifting) as well as daily drive it regularly and do not find it that unbearable in terms of comfort. Handling, as well as wheel/tire clearance is also far superior.

This! well I am "the cousin", and my over all point when discussing this subject is that if your going to doing something to your car, do it right the first time around and have no regrets. Yea you could save some money buy going the springs route but will you be fully satisfied? And that buying springs can put unnecessary strain on stock parts. Not to mention any car i have been in that has had springs done, the cars don't ride all that great.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
I just went with ford racing K springs and the ride quality isn't bad at all. I daily drive my car. I originally wanted to do more than just springs but I'm satisfied with it. It's all going to be based on personal preference not everyone has the same idea of what's suitable for other people. These springs were on my buddies 5.0 and he was unhappy with them and went with a coil over kit. I, having ridden in his car when he had the k springs was comfortable with them before I agreed to take them off his hands.

Users who are viewing this thread