Springs/ Lowering ??

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Hey Guys need some help.. trying to lower my car 90 5.0, need to know what is the lowest i can go without rubbing or affecting the performance dramaticly. Thanx deciding on BBK or Ford Racing Springs.Thanx:shrug:

wheelhopper

Established Member
What size wheels and tires are you running? That will make a difference.

I had H&R SS on mine, with the factory wheels and 225 tires. It lowered the car about 1.75". It gave the car a nice stance and I had no clearance issues. Now I run a H&R race springs with 255/40/17s all around. No clearance issues and the car looks great. I do have an IRS in it now though, but I think the lowering of the H&R race is the same IRS or straight axle, about 1.25".

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
What size wheels and tires are you running? That will make a difference.

I had H&R SS on mine, with the factory wheels and 225 tires. It lowered the car about 1.75". It gave the car a nice stance and I had no clearance issues. Now I run a H&R race springs with 255/40/17s all around. No clearance issues and the car looks great. I do have an IRS in it now though, but I think the lowering of the H&R race is the same IRS or straight axle, about 1.25".

Oh ya thanx for got to mention.. i am running 18" cobra R all 18x9.. in the front i have 245-40.. and the rears 275-40.. would like to lower a bit just trying to take the gap out of the fenders.. not trying to slam it..Thanx again:banana:

mustangsf4life

Black Venom
Established Member
I dropped my lx about an inch or so all the way around with 17x9's all around and245's up front and 275's out back. I rolled the rear fender wells and i had no issues otherwise. Its not 18's but i hope this helps. H&R's would be my suggestion. FR springs drop the front too much for me.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
I dropped my lx about an inch or so all the way around with 17x9's all around and245's up front and 275's out back. I rolled the rear fender wells and i had no issues otherwise. Its not 18's but i hope this helps. H&R's would be my suggestion. FR springs drop the front too much for me.

Thanx for the help.. so ur saying the Ford Racing springs droped the front to much??. and this is on a 5.0 rite.. just have to ask..Thanx

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Ya the C-Springs dropped the front way too much for me on my 89 LX and my 97 Cobra. H&R Super Sports are my weapon of choice now.

Ok thanx man.. just making sure cause on my old Sn95 did not have that problem, i was actually hoping it was lower than then ratings were but oh well..:rockon:

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i had the ford racing b springs on mine and the front was so low the tires was rubbing. i still got the rears on and they work fine. i'm gonna be taking a 1/4 round off the STOCK front springs to get the desired heigth i want.

i say cut the stock springs. cut some off the bottom off the spring and it will ride just as good as it does now

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
i had the ford racing b springs on mine and the front was so low the tires was rubbing. i still got the rears on and they work fine. i'm gonna be taking a 1/4 round off the STOCK front springs to get the desired heigth i want.

i say cut the stock springs. cut some off the bottom off the spring and it will ride just as good as it does now

Thanx for the advice now i know i am not going with the ford springs.:banana:

geoffc

Established Member
I have the Ford Racing C-springs. When I first installed them, the front was dumped pretty low. While I was building me 347, I noticed that my bushings were almost gone and my struts weren't very good either. After replacing the struts with the Strange adjustables and putting in poly bushings, the car was only a little lower than stock. It also rides and handles much better now.
I do have Eibach Prokits on my LX though. The LX handles a little better, but it is also quite a bit lighter than my GT.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
I have the Ford Racing C-springs. When I first installed them, the front was dumped pretty low. While I was building me 347, I noticed that my bushings were almost gone and my struts weren't very good either. After replacing the struts with the Strange adjustables and putting in poly bushings, the car was only a little lower than stock. It also rides and handles much better now.
I do have Eibach Prokits on my LX though. The LX handles a little better, but it is also quite a bit lighter than my GT.[/QUOTE

Thanx for the input just still trying to decide in which brand to go with.. hope i am not over thinking..

Users who are viewing this thread