Spring Suggestions

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Later on this year, I plan to be upgrading my suspension. The shocks/struts are still the stockers and are well overdue for retirement, so I plan to swap in Koni double adjustable struts and QA1 adjustable shocks so I can have a fairly sporty ride on the street, and adjust the bias/stiffness up front and the stiffness out back for the track. Right now, the springs I have are a set of old Eibach Pro-Kit that I got with the car. The spring rate is 200 - 250 in the rear (I'm not too sure what the front is) with a 1.5" drop. My main beef with these springs is that for a "stiffer" aftermarket spring, they seem rather soft - I get a lot of body roll in the corners. They do seem to work ok at the strip though. My 60' times are around 2.0 - 2.1 on crappy Dunlop SP5000 all seasons (about to go for Nitto 555 DR's :rockon: ).

I have been concidering swapping over to H&R sport springs (~1.5" drop, 490-575 lbs. front and 205-250 lbs. rear). I would like your suggestions / recommendations for a street car that sees a good deal of time at the strip (10 - 15 visits / year). I would like to get my 60' time down to 1.7 - 1.8, perhaps switching to an even stickier DR after I've upgraded my rear axle sometime down the road.

Ideally, I would like a little less weight transfer from side to side while on the street, without loosing too much of the weight transfer from front to rear on the track. I know that's pretty hard to accomplish (maybe even impossible?), and that a car really needs to be set up for either the track, or the street, but what are your opinions? Are the H&R springs too stiff up front to accomplish this? Are they preferable to the Pro-Kit springs? If there is little difference at the track, which do you think will handle better on the street?

I also noted that MM is selling rear springs for Torque Arms that are a little stiffer (1.5" drop, 350-390 lbs.). Might these be a little better for track duty, stiffening up the rear that much more?

Thanks in advance! :)

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
The H&R springs sound way too stiff for street use. You may want to get you shocks and struts on and see what that does for ya. Also to get rid of the body roll I think energy suspension make a bushing kit for our cars. I would try that. We put one in my buddies 83 chevy shortbed and dropped it 2 in and I swear that thing felt like it handled better then alot of sports cars I've driven.
Just my $.02

Nick

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
BTW how old are the old springs? Aftermarket springs tend to wear out faaster then stockers. If you have any racing buddies with a spring rate tester you may want to pull them off and see what they are. Sometimes they are even bad from the factory. On one of our circle track cars we decided to test out a brand new set of springs before we put them on the car and were glad we did. One of them was 52 lbs lower then it should have been.

Nick

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
The H&R springs don't look too much stiffer then stock, which is 420 lbs front and 200 lbs. rear. As for the age of teh Eibachs, at least 5 years, possibley 6.

Users who are viewing this thread