spring isolators??

01MGSVT

Established Member
i have an eibach pro-kit on my 01 cobra but im wanting to take out 1 isolator on each spring to get that little bit of extra drop. which isolators are the best to remove on the rear springs and front springs?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I don't really think it matters. I'm going to say top on the front and whatever on the rear.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd have to agree with BreBar. I have no isolators in front and the bottom in the rear.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I don't have any in the front and bottoms only in the rear. I don't have any squeaks. I'm thinking about removing the rears now.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Keep in mind isolators will cancel out shock and vibration the springs can't which will get transmitted to the chassis. Not a great thing for spotwelded sheetmetal chassis.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The isolators aren't that thick. I doubt they stop much of the shock to the chassis. I've had mine out since 2005 with no issues.

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
Did H&R Sports on my Buddy's 01 Vert. No iso's in the front/rear. Put some grease on the springs/seats and you are good to go. If you decide to leave any of them, leave just the bottom rear.... my two cents...

carnut726

Established Member
Mine are eibach pro kit springs also and i greesed the spring pirches and never have had a problem, i also got about another 1/4 front and 5/16 rear from the removal (measured at the fender lip from the ground)

SlowSVT

Established Member
The isolators aren't that thick. I doubt they stop much of the shock to the chassis. I've had mine out since 2005 with no issues.

It's not the thickness of the rubber isolators, it's their damping characteristics as compared to a steel spring coil. The isolators will attenuate frequencies that will get past the springs. It's "metal-to-metal" contact without them.

Not saying your car shake itself apart without them but over time it may contribute to the metal fatigue already taking place. I have lots of vibe table experience testing electronic systems and it can be pretty destructive but we subject the equipment to a lot more punishment then will get transmitted to the Mustang chassis. Sheet metal construction and oscillation are not good companions. I don't think many people consider this when removing them to lower the car but something to think about. Given the option I would leave them in there but that is just me.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
I removed my front uppers and wrapped the top of the spring with electricians rubber tape from Home Cheapo. It's not the thin vinyl electrical tape it's thicker rubber tape that strecthes and adheres well. I still got the extra drop and no metal to metal contact.

Users who are viewing this thread