spring install

gud2goe

Established Member
ok got a question.....i have differing info so it needs to be cleared up
much to some peeps on here dismay,, i bought and cut some springs(mostly to see if i likeit or not) i cut 3/4 coil off the back//...so here is the ??? i lined up the lower pigtail with the hole in the perch located where the support bolt for the emer brake line sits.....now i am being told to line up upper pigtail so it faces driverside..or there should be two holes in the perch cover the first but not the second hole (we dont have two holes..so this is out)....

i looked thru a lot of posts but didnt see this this answer

Last edited:

MystichromeVert

Established Member
In the front, there are 2 holes in the lower control arm used for orienting the springs. The Ford Helm manual mentions these holes when discussing how to put the front springs in.

In the back, there is only 1 hole in the lower control arm and the manual doesn't mention anything about it. This leads me to believe that it doesn't matter how the rear springs are oriented when they sit in the control arms.

SpectorV

Established Member
The pig tail can be in differing positions. I tend to face it towards the back (so the flat end where the spring was cut faces to the passenger side and the flat cut is perpendicular to the car. If you twisted it another .25 it would be the lowest point on the spring that you could saftly position it at (a .25 turn to the left, as if you were removing a bolt)

gud2goe

Established Member
well i put them in and i have the lower pig tail in the middle rear(facing drivers side)...just seems like the right side is hard to get to stay(wants to slide to the lowest point on the perch) and the left dside is way easy...just doesnt seem right...i understand theat position of the spring is whats causing it just make me think left side will be lite on spring pressure and the right will be more spring pressure..meaning different ride hieghts and force..just me i guess..postban could help..lol

acrod

Established Member
changing the orientation of the springs also affects ride height so make sure they are both oriented the same way or you might have one side slightly higher than the other.

gud2goe

Established Member
thanks acrod...yea they are oriented the same ...it just make me think one side will be stronger and one weeker...(not going from a drag racing point of view..) ..with one side being harder to get together..thats all..

the spring on the left side is htting the "drop" potion of the frame on the top(to the outside of the upper shock guide)...i know i need to get it on the ground and all SHOULD be good but just doesnt make me fell good if you know what i mean..

Last edited:

GrimlokTT

Established Member
SpectorV said:
The pig tail can be in differing positions. I tend to face it towards the back (so the flat end where the spring was cut faces to the passenger side and the flat cut is perpendicular to the car. If you twisted it another .25 it would be the lowest point on the spring that you could saftly position it at (a .25 turn to the left, as if you were removing a bolt)

Could you elaborate? I have both my springs with the cut-off portion to the inside of the car. How do I adjust it to have the car at its HIGHEST setting?

Users who are viewing this thread