spring install removing IRS bolts easy

Bite Me

Established Member
I just got done doing a spring swap on the cobra and thought I would give a tip to anyone going to do it themselves. Removing the IRS bolts is most definitely not hard and no air tools are needed, although it does make it easy.

I dont like the idea of putting any extra pressure on the diff, and i dont like the idea of using air tools unless absolutely necessary so I put my jack under it to support it, then used my second jack to gently lift the IRS underneath the bolt. If you can picture it put the jack about an inch behind the 90 degree bend where it goes up to mout to the IRS bracket. Dont crank it up, just lift it a bit so when you do get the bolt loose it will just slide out. Made it very easy and piece of mind with the diff's well being. Once the bolt was loose I just pulled it out, let the jack down and did the other side.

The only good it does is make sure the IRS doesnt drop as you take the bolt out and put pressure on the bolt and threads. No air tools needed, threads in good shape, no pressure on the diff. Sounds good to me.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I prefer to use a spring compressor. It can be done without one but for some reason an unrestrained coil spring at 600 lbs./in makes me nervous.

Bite Me

Established Member
I prefer to use a spring compressor. It can be done without one but for some reason an unrestrained coil spring at 600 lbs./in makes me nervous.

+ 1 on the fronts. I had a bitch of a time on the fronts without the compressors. The rear was a complete joke. The springs sit in the rear so easy they fall out when you drop the IRS. You can move them in the cups even before you drop the IRS with the car up and the strut bolts off if I rememer correctly so I didnt bother with the compressor. Better safe than sorry, good point.

Dont know why the fronts were such a pain, but I am glad I had that spring compressor with me.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I didn't need the compressor on the fronts. I just unbolted the strut and lowered the a arm down with the jack. A solid kick knocked the stock spring out. I could never get the spring compressed enough on the rear. So I dropped the front of the irs subframe and they slide right out. I recommend dropping the rear though, it is WAY easier to line back up.

Users who are viewing this thread