Spring Compressor

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I went to Autozone to rent the 27035 internal spring compressor for the rear springs. Apparently they have changed it - no longer 2 double hooks; now it's a 'fork' with 1 double hook.

Has anyone used this (new) tool for the rear springs?

Quick Strike

Established Member
Why would you use a spring compressor when all you need to do is unhook the shocks and drop the rear of the IRS?

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Because I don't want to drop the IRS and the catback. I'd rather use the right tool than fight with the IRS.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
1. the right tool for this job doesnt have hooks, it has plates.
2. ford says to drop the irs cradle from its rear mounting in their own manual.
3. only four bolts hold the cat-back on (and thats both sides)

which springs did you finally decide on?

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
1. the right tool for this job doesnt have hooks, it has plates.
2. ford says to drop the irs cradle from its rear mounting in their own manual.
3. only four bolts hold the cat-back on (and thats both sides)

which springs did you finally decide on?

I'm looking to do it the easy way - crawling under the car is not as easy as it was 30 years ago.

I have the Ford manual.

I went with MM coilovers 375/575. The fronts were relatively easy (sitting on a milk crate). I know - single shear with the shock bolt. Have you checked the shear strengh of a G10.9 14MM bolt?

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
MidLifeC said:
I'm looking to do it the easy way - crawling under the car is not as easy as it was 30 years ago.

Hopefully WUTWINE sees this thread and chimes in here, but you do not need a spring compressor to install springs on the '03/'04 Cobras. Neither the fronts nor the rears. And he was never directly under the car once...

I watched him do it in 40 minutes total with jack stands, floor jacks, and regular tools. Car was back on the ground in about an hour. :beer:

Last edited:

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
No one has used the new design tool?

I used the new design with the plate to install mine. It woked great - better than the "old style" IMO. I still don't know why people go to the trouble to drop the IRS? I simply hooked the spring compressor up to my air ratchet and cranked away - each side took about 15 minutes. The only bolt I messed with was the lower shock mount.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Dropping the IRS is simple. The catback is 2 bolts on each side and the whole catback just comes right off. You dnt have to disassemble the catback in 2 pieces, take off the whole thing. i can do rear springs in 30mins if that. Its simple.

After the catback is off use a jack under the IRS and unbolt the 2 rear bolts and lower it down the springs will literally fall right out. No fighting with the IRS, it drops down and goes back up easily.

Users who are viewing this thread