spring color???

esoteric781

01 - 2 - 04
Established Member
Hey, I was rotating my tires last night and I've had a question for everyone here that has an 01 cobra, what color are the stock springs? I've felt that my car is lowered since I bought the thing, my car is nowhere near the "4x4" stance that everyone talks about. I'd post some pictures but because the file is too big, I can't, I'll try and post them over at cardomain soon, see if that works, then get a link up here to them. But yeah, I was wondering what color the stock springs are, because after rotating the tires last night, I noticed that the springs I have in there now are kind of a dark bluish/purple color. I wouldn't be surprised if the car is lowered, not too long ago after having the car for 5 months, I found out I have a steeda tri-ax shifter, I've got to check to see if I have a computer chip or not soon. Any help would be great, either way I want new springs and shocks/struts soon lol.

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
just measure the fender to ground height.... that would let you know immediately.

Or if you canmake a fist and put it in the space above the back tire and the fender then its not lowered.

esoteric781

01 - 2 - 04
Established Member
Originally posted by stock svt
just measure the fender to ground height.... that would let you know immediately.

Or if you canmake a fist and put it in the space above the back tire and the fender then its not lowered.

oh believe me, i tried the fist thing, get this, in the rear, i can't even get a fist in there, i can get three fingers in from top of the tire to the fender on the passenger side, and only 2 fingers on the driver's side!!! wow that statement was oddly sexual, anywho, either the car is lowered or the stock springs are dead. i was just hoping that somebody knew if different springs were certain colors.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Originally posted by esoteric781
oh believe me, i tried the fist thing, get this, in the rear, i can't even get a fist in there, i can get three fingers in from top of the tire to the fender on the passenger side, and only 2 fingers on the driver's side!!! wow that statement was oddly sexual, anywho, either the car is lowered or the stock springs are dead. i was just hoping that somebody knew if different springs were certain colors.

I think both H&R and Steeda make springs in those colors. What is the distance from the ground to the fender. Someone might be able to make a more accurate guess with some measurements.

nitestalker1982

Raider Nation Member
Established Member
how could you not know if it is lowered or not? It is so easily distinguishable, especially if you have the HR's, which lower the car almost 2". Yup, it sounds like you have the H&R springs. :rockon:

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
SNAKIE: ecu in passanger side kick-panel--easy to get to.
esoteric: Sounds like you got some bonuses--maybe someone went with the steeda shifter and springs---two of the best upgrades you can make.
PS--as above, the H&Rs are pretty low, lower than Steeda. Measure that thing of take a pic.

UGAcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by biminiLX
SNAKIE: maybe someone went with the steeda shifter and springs---two of the best upgrades you can make.
PS--as above, the H&Rs are pretty low, lower than Steeda. Measure that thing of take a pic.

The old steedas lowered the car about the same as the H&Rs due to a settling problem. My steedas are the "bluish-purplish" color described above...Steedas are made by "hypercoil" and will say so on the spring itself -- I'm not sure if the H&Rs have any writing on them?

vennom

99/03 hybrid
Established Member
ya my h&r's say it on the spring i thought they where black though. . .

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The amount of drop depends on whether he has H&R Race or SS springs.

Esoteric781--- When you rotated your tires what color were the shocks and struts that are on your car? Does your car have Caster camber plates?

From the amount of drop he described it sounds like the H&R SS springs or the Steedas, they lower the car further than the Race springs. Too many variables to change the height, maybe they didnt use new isolators or maybe they didnt use them at all??? :shrug:

Either way I think you can mark new springs off your mods list. :D

esoteric781

01 - 2 - 04
Established Member
Originally posted by 99COBRA2881
The amount of drop depends on whether he has H&R Race or SS springs.

Esoteric781--- When you rotated your tires what color were the shocks and struts that are on your car? Does your car have Caster camber plates?

From the amount of drop he described it sounds like the H&R SS springs or the Steedas, they lower the car further than the Race springs. Too many variables to change the height, maybe they didnt use new isolators or maybe they didnt use them at all??? :shrug:

Either way I think you can mark new springs off your mods list. :D

Ok, so it appears I have the steeda springs, I'll do a thorough cleaning of the springs some day and see if they are labeled at all, there is a good amount of grime on them, but you can definitely tell the color. I went and took some pictures the other day and posted them over at cardomain.com, check these out, especially the camber plates, what's going on there???...

My Cobra at CarDomain...

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Ok, so it appears I have the steeda springs, I'll do a thorough cleaning of the springs some day and see if they are labeled at all, there is a good amount of grime on them, but you can definitely tell the color. I went and took some pictures the other day and posted them over at cardomain.com, check these out, especially the camber plates, what's going on there???...

My Cobra at CarDomain...

It appears your car is lowered. Those are probably not H&R's, because they damn near slam the car. If you measure from the ground to the fender, someone will be able to make a more educated guess. I would tend to think they are Steeda's though. Do you still have stock shocks and struts? Are you shocks and struts black?

Last edited:

esoteric781

01 - 2 - 04
Established Member
yeah, unfortunately the struts and shocks are all black and definitely look stock, thinking of going with the eibach kit all around, like you said, car looks slammed, little too low for my liking, doesn't rake too much, but occasionally. whats up with the camber plates though, is that normal?

Last edited:

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
get MM CC plates. i think the car looks just fine, how it is, not to droped. just perfect. looks nice. dam, i wish the *** that had the car before me kept the 01 polished rims. i have the 99's =[

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
yeah, unfortunately the struts and shocks are all black and definitely look stock, thinking of going with the eibach kit all around, like you said, car looks slammed, little too low for my liking, doesn't rake too much, but occasionally. whats up with the camber plates though, is that normal?

No, I was saying your car is not slammed, so your springs are more than likely not H&R. You could always take the isolators out in the front to get more of a rake. You should also buy some shiocks and struts that are matched to the springs.

Seriously, go get something to measure it with and tell us what the distance from the ground to the fender is.

esoteric781

01 - 2 - 04
Established Member
ok, so I went and got the measurements that a few people have asked for to see if my car is lowered or not, here goes...

wheel wells...
- fender to ground = 26.5" (driver's side, rear), 27.5" (driver's side, front)
- fender to ground = 27" (passenger side, rear), 27.5" (passenger side, front)

bumper
- fender to ground = 11.5" (rear)

hope that helps to figure out which springs i have

Users who are viewing this thread