Spray Painting Rotor, Need ADVISE....

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
I need to spray paint the interior of my rotors (there's rust buildup). I'm assuming the best way to go about this is to take off the wheels and caliper and have at it. But my questions are:

1. How difficult is it to take the caliper off? I've done this before on my 89, but it was a while ago, and I seem to remember it was a little tricky putting the caliper back on. It was a while ago, so that may have not been the case, I might be thinking of bleeding the breaks....

2. Can I overspray on the rotor? I'm sure the paint on the rotor (the area where the pad contacts) will just disintegrate after a few minutes driving, no?

3. What type of spray paint works best for this issue?
4. Suggestion of color.

Thanks!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
If it's the front rotors, the calipers are a piece of cake to remove. Two bolts through the bracket and they're off. Just make sure to support them, don't hang them by the brake line. Then pull the rotor off. You may have to remove the llittle metal tabs, but that's no biggie, they're only there for factory install, you can reassemble it without them. I'd suggest making a cardboard cutout to shield the braking surface of the rotor from the paint. Sand off all the rust and give it a few coats with something like Rustoleum. For color, I'd say black.

I really wish I'd painted the new rotors I got before I put them on the car, but I was in a rush to get the car driving again :(

Last edited:

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
If it's the front rotors, the calipers are a piece of cake to remove. Two bolts through the bracket and they're off. Just make sure to support them, don't hang them by the brake line. Then pull the rotor off. You may have to remove the llittle metal tabs, but that's no biggie, they're only there for factory install, you can reassemble it without them. I'd suggest making a cardboard cutout to shield the braking surface of the rotor from the paint. Sand off all the rust and give it a few coats with something like Rustoleum. For color, I'd say black.

I really wish I'd painted the new rotors I got before I put them on the car, but I was in a rush to get the car driving again :(

funny you say that about the cardboard cut out, i was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the input!! :beer:

spike_africa

Established Member
I would take the rotors off as its very easy like she said. Then just clean up the rust and spray them black. Dont worry about over spray on the rotor as once you drive the car it will get rid of the extra paint from braking.

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
my buddy just did his an aluminum color... sanded them down masked and painted. he got a little on the part that contacts the pad but it wore off quickly

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I left the rotor on, tried not to get excessive overspray on the braking surface. Wiped down the paint thinner and put the wheel back on...

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
funny you say that about the cardboard cut out, i was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the input!! :beer:

Friend of mine used one to spray his tires down so he wouldn't have to re-clean the wheels, worked great!

I would definitely take the rotor OFF the car, and at least 20 ft away. You'd be amazed at how far overspray can travel, and it just isn't worth the risk. Plus, you don't want to paint your wheel studs either! It's just too easy to not do.

SpectorV

Established Member
I did this same thing for a friend of mine this past weekend.

1. Take the rim off after loosen the nuts and jack the car up and put it on stands.
2. Turn the steering wheel to the side so you can get a breaker bar on the caliper bolts (the two bolts that are on the knuckle) and remove them
3. Slide the caliper to the side and use some wire to hold it up so the pressure is not on the brake line
4. Take the rotor off (should slide off, may have to take the back of it with a hammer)
5. Use water and sand paper(400 gritt~) and sand down the rotor's rusty areas
6. Clean the rotor off
7. Use alcohol and paper towels or something that wont leave lint and clean the surface
8. Spray a VERY light coat (REPEAT VERY LIGHT COAT) and wait 10-15 minutes, repeat one more to two more times
9. Finish up with 1-3 regular coats of spray paint (dont put to much paint and cause runs... take your time and let dry between coats, touch the area of the rotor that the pads contact to see if dry before doing a new coat)
10. Put back on the car
11. Drive the car a bit and the paint will wear right off the rotors.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Spector covered the process very well.

Paint-wise due to the heat involved I would NOT use regular spray paint for the most durable results look into finding DupliColor caliper paint (spray) or VHT paint.

I've had great luck with VHT so long as its applied THIN and baked on (which you can do simply by driving around town a bit or in traffic to warm the rotors).

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vht_spec.htm

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
get some brake cleaner and a small(er) brush and clean all that gunk and crap out of there while you're taking everything apart.. debris/crap build up is nasty in there.

SVTContique

Lmao at someone asking about pulling rotors.

Take off wheel, undo the 2 caliper bolts. Remove rotor.

Paint at free will, spray the shit out of it.

Any overspray will come off with the first couple feet of braking.

Users who are viewing this thread