Spray foam- open cell or closed cell

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I'm about a week or two away from having new house spray foamed. I've been talking with 2 companies local to me about which way to go.

One says closed cell in the wall and open cell in attic.
Other company is saying open cell everywhere.

I've been doing a lot of research on line and there are mixed reviews.

So I was hoping for some input from people who maybe do this for a living or who have had this done to their house.

Thanks

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member

YJSONLY

Established Member
Call the manufacture. Report back as I am curious also. I have been in a Lot of homes that have it. I am in Florida and in the middle of the summer you can get into the attic and it is only 5* f more than what the AC is set on.

PDubs

Established Member
We had Icynene sprayed in our house and attic (new construction). Don't know which category this falls under but it works great!

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Call the manufacture. Report back as I am curious also. I have been in a Lot of homes that have it. I am in Florida and in the middle of the summer you can get into the attic and it is only 5* f more than what the AC is set on.

Yes I work construction so after experiencing it first hand working on people's houses, I made sure to budget for it in my house.

We had Icynene sprayed in our house and attic (new construction). Don't know which category this falls under but it works great!

I emailed them about 5 min ago asking the rep in my area to call me to discuss more in depth.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Post details. As I am curious. And with energy costs it is dumb not to use this stuff for insulation. People building a Xxxxxx amount of dollars to build a house and worrying about a couple extra dollars.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Post details. As I am curious. And with energy costs it is dumb not to use this stuff for insulation. People building a Xxxxxx amount of dollars to build a house and worrying about a couple extra dollars.

I decided on open cell on rafter and in the walls. Closed cell in the walls was only 600 or so more. After reading a lot everyone seems to say the house needs to breathe somewhat and closed cell seals house so well it can't do that. From what I read open cell is better in humid climates so air can move a little bit. If not in a humid area then close cell is a good option.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
If you close cell the whole house you might want to install an energy recovery ventilator (ERV) into your hvac system. This will allow the introduction of fresh outside air into your home during long periods of hvac run time. It is possible to make a house to tight with spray in foam insulation. You want to avoid sick building syndrome by introducing conditioned outside air through an ERV.

Users who are viewing this thread